Thread: Knog N.E.R.D.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Knog N.E.R.D.

Anyone have one? How d'ya like it?

http://www.knog.com.au/Category.aspx?categoryId=11

Two Tired
    Seems to be about 4x the price of a Cateye for the same functionality. Now if there really was something about the "boobs...boobs...boobs" reference on the web page it might be worth the extra money!
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

mtbr member
    I bought the NERD recently because I broke my Sigma in a crash. I went with the Knog because of the easy and hopefully crash resistant mounting. The mounting works as advertised, and the computer functionality is pretty straightforward. The functions are not quite as easy to access as my Sigma 1600, but the single button (which is the screen) works pretty well. The screen is reasonably readable, but I do prefer the current speed compared to average speed indicator on the Sigma.

The spoke magnet form Knog didn't fit my Mavic alloy spokes. I had a few others and just used an old Sigma magnet, which I had to modify to fit.

I got the 12-function because it supports two bikes. The Knog is nice in that it can be moved from one bike to another is about 30 seconds and you don't have to buy a second sender/mount. Similarly, it and the sender could be stolen in about 15 seconds if you leave it on the bike.

Would I buy it again? Probably. Is it worth the premium over some of the other computers? Probably not.

I believe I paid about $100AU for the Knog, but I don't recall the exact price.

A recent post with some info and a photo of the NERD from my blog: crossgeared.com
    Dave
    Blog / Strava

Baby Bear is in the house
    I was considering the Knog 9-feature version, but eventually thought it wasn't worth all the "coolness" the ads seem to suggest (and the reference to 80085 ).

I say just get the Cateye Micro Wireless and be done with it.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I ended up picking up the 9-function N.E.R.D. from universal cycles for $57. Just a few bucks more than a Cateye Strada or similar. It's kind of like an iPod versus any other mp3 player, you pay a premium for the "cool" form factor, but there's no additional functionality. The main unit is big and chunky. I'm pretty happy with it, setup and installation was very easy, the display is readable, and no issues with the wireless transmission.

I must say the boobs - boobs - boobs script on their website is dissapointing, I mean come on, if you're going to say that, do it up like Marzocchi!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

I luv mine

I have the 12 and love it. It does everything I wanted in a computer. It is super simple to use and the backlight is great on those late rides. I also like how easy it is to put on and take off, makes cleaning it and the bike nice and easy. I was alittle worried that it would shift or pop off on the trails but so far(3 months) it has not moved. It feels solid and for $70 I would buy it again.

I have mine stem mounted on a Trek 4500. The sending unit fits the fork well and the magnet has been no problem either.

I never leave my bike so theft has never been a worry to me but it would be simple to steal it in seconds if you leave it.

The only problem I had was with the NERD and my NitRider 4.0 dual LED light. The NERD would not pick up when the light was on. I found that moving the battery to the down tube everything works great.