mtbr member

Keep a Edge 705 going for roughly 20 days?

Hi, I am planning on doing a race "RASA - Race across South Africa" simialer to RAAM, and would love to use my 705, anyone know of a way to make a 705 last that long or charge it somehow, perhaps some portable charging system etc?

mtbr dismember

ballbuster

or search DealExtreme.com

Quote Originally Posted by _daemon_
    Hi, I am planning on doing a race "RASA - Race across South Africa" simialer to RAAM, and would love to use my 705, anyone know of a way to make a 705 last that long or charge it somehow, perhaps some portable charging system etc?
    They have all sorts of solar/battery chargers. I'll bet Garmin bike computers can run off continuous power from the USB port. THey have really good prices too, but slow service.

Scott in Tucson
    Everyone I know that has tried to keep an Edge alive using an AA charger has had issues. Most recently, Dave Harris in the CTR (Colorado Trail Race) had his die for extended periods of time. I wouldn't trust it, and would instead get a VistaHCx, 60CSx, the new GPSMap 62, or the like... (AA batts = good)
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

Scott in Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by _daemon_
    On another note, is this a 100% paved route, or do you need knobbies / cross tires?

Have you heard of the Freedom Challenge (an off road, non-stop, ~self-supported race across S. Africa) ?
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

I'm sure you could keep it alive with a solar charger (charge the solar panels during the day, then charge the GPS from the panels overnight), but the better question here is whether you'll be able to save all the data from every day?

With a AA-powered handheld, you can save your day's track onto the external memory card and free up your tracklog for the next day's riding.

You could still use a solar charger to minimize the number of batteries you carry. I'd carry 3-4 sets of rechargeables (in case some of your batteries crap out and won't hold a charge) and you could charge those from the solar panels and swap them out when necessary.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krein
    On another note, is this a 100% paved route, or do you need knobbies / cross tires?

Have you heard of the Freedom Challenge (an off road, non-stop, ~self-supported race across S. Africa) ?

Yup yup, that's what I am doing.

RASA = Freedom Challenge

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I've had pretty good luck charging my 705 for longer periods (though not 20 straight days) using this:

http://www.powerfilmsolar.com/foldab...ers/usb-aa.php

The solar panel charges the AA batteries which in turn, then charge the Edge. Depending upon the available downtime, or lack thereof, you could rig it to a camelbak, if you're carrying one - and assuming it's sunny. I've had decent success strapping the panels to the top of a backpack and getting a good charge each day - albeit in Death Valley where you have nothing but sunlight.

Sounds like an excellent trip - good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Dynamo Hub

I did the Freedom Challenge this year on a singlespeed 29er and used a SON Delux dynamo hub up front together with a Busch+Muller E-Werk charging unit. These powered the headlight and kept my race tracker charged as well as a Blackberry phone for blogging. (http://onegiantride@blogspot.com)

The charger puts out up to 13.3V and 1.5A, adjustable via 2 seperate dials which you set according to the device you are charging. At speeds below 5km/h, its not charging, so when walking up hills or doing one of the many portage sections where you have to carry your bike, the charger is basically switched off. At speeds above 5km/h, the system worked really well and kept my devices charged and my headlight burning brightly.

All components were purchased off the shelf from www.starbike.com and I would happiliy use the same system in future.

I'm not sure what batteries/battery pack options are available for the Edge but there are aftermarket options available like using the system to charge an ancillary battery pack which you then use to recharge the gps battery (only neccessary if the gps cannot run directly off an external power source)

I looked into using solar at first but the power density was too low (at best equivalent to a trickle charge) and in hindsight, there were many cloudy days where sunlight was limited, so charging effectiveness would have suffered.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I've had good luck with my USB charged devices on the road using the Tekkeon TekCharge Mobile Power and Battery Charger. I got it from Amazon for about $22. It takes 4 rechargeable AA's or regular batteries and will charge from either and will recharge the rechargeables. It's small and cheap, might be worth a try.