surly inbred

just a scosh OT.. rechargeables?

I purposefully decided on my Powershot camera & Vista Hcx for the ability to run AA's. Now I'm wondering about investing in rechargeable batteries (it pains me to toss the dead soldiers.)

The last time I went this route, the backup batteries were dead by the time I needed spares.. does this still hold true? Alk's- Lion- NiCd-NiMh? ..Greek to me

Thanks

Riding or Drumming
    The Ni-MH from Eveready, ect. work well, charge easy and are pretty affordable. I use them in my 60Csx and other stuff around the house. Buying in packs of 4+ are a pretty good deal.
    Tallboy
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Salsa Mukluk
    Surly Big Dummy

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    You want low discharge rechargeables. These hold the charge much longer when in storage so you do not run into the dead rechargeable battery issue. I am using them tons because of the Wii, 60cs, and now my V.I.O POV. It would all cost me a fortune if I did not have the rechargeable. They may cost more up front but in the long run, they are worth it. Look for the higher mAh number. The bigger the number, the longer they will last on a single charge (supposedly). I use 2500 or higher and my gps is good for 7-8 hours. It may be longer but I have never had to use it longer.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

Another thing you can do to help yourself out is to throw them in the charger the night before you go. Give yourself a few extra minutes to install in your electronics and you are good to go with fresh batteries for the day.

mtbr member
    You want a hybrid-type rechargeable. They are NiMH cells, but have a slightly different chemistry which allow them to hold a charge considerably longer (much lower self discharge) than traditional NiMH batteries. The trade off is lower capacity.

I use both Sanyo Eneloop cells and Rayovac Hybrid cells in my AA powered DSLR. They claim to hold 80% charge after one year. I know that they hold charge for several months. They seem to be getting harder to find. I don't think the majority of people like them because they are only rated at 2000mAh, the trade-off again. But I have them in my camera all the time, and they are always ready to go, even after sitting for quite a while. I don't think I've charge the ones in my flash for 6 months or so, but they are still going strong!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Eneloop or any of the "hybrid" batteries are really the only way to go. Don't get the 15-min charger, it will just kill the batteries in a matter of months. I have about 20 eneloops for my camera equipment (flashes, remotes), they're the longest lasting rechargables that I've owned.