Old & slow

iPhone Navigation

I finally joined the 21st century & got a smart phone. Any one know of any good apps for navigating in the woods? I have an iPhone & ride mostly where there isn't any cell so it would need to work from the phone's GPS.

Thanks,
    Jim

do yourself a favor and buy a real GPS.

iphones should stay in the urban canyons and even then, Apple hasn't done the device any favors. biggest limitation of the iphone for outdoor use is its battery. at least most android phones give you user-replaceable batteries can you can just carry spares. in addition to an app, you are going to have to buy the case and bike mount, something to top up your battery when it gets low in the woods, and if you want quality GPS data, you should buy an external GPS receiver. if you want HR data, that's more accessories, too. then the most expensive part of the whole deal is the data plan.

a real gps is a one-and-done expense and will cost about the same as getting your phone prepared for time in the woods.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Agreed.

But if you must use an iPhone app, MotionX GPS is the one you want. It has offline maps functionality.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I use Mountainbike Pro, which also has offline maps.
    2007 Specialized FSR Comp
    2010 Jamis Trail XC
    2012 Superlight 29

I eat cats
    +1 to what NateHawk said, especially about the battery life. I tried the iPhone for hiking in areas where I got spotty service and even if the app(s) said no service needed the app(s) didn't work great. I do carry my phone but it is off unless I need it. I have a GPS now (Garmin eTrex 30) and always have and always will carry topo maps and a compass when in the wilderness. Sure there are local trails I ride/hike that I could not get lost on so a basic trail map works but any new trails or far out wilderness I don't solely rely on technology. Do use your iPhone as a camera though! Just don't rely on it as a GPS when way out there.

Edit (forgot to mention any apps) - The app I used the most was 'Backpacker GPS Trails Pro' but I forget what I paid for it (I get a lot of iTunes cards as gifts so I go nuts on apps around Xmas). I have also downloaded a few others I don't remember because they were junk. I also used the standard built in map to drop pinpoints on places when I could get a signal.
    Last edited by Gordon Shumway; 11-08-2012 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Add info
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

Old & slow
    I have a GPS & will continue to use it. I'm just looking for different ways to play with my new toy. Thanks for the apps suggestions. I was looking at Mountainbike Pro. I like the idea of my wife being able to track my ride since I usually ride alone.

Jim

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I will second the vote for the Mountainbike Pro. Works great and obviously offline maps are essential. can't beat it for 5 bucks!

joseph

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I use MotionX GPS on an iPhone 5, making sure to download the maps for the area I'm riding in first, and it works flawlessly. I don't get the battery issue unless you are doing a multi day thing. As long as the phone is near the top of my pack, I get great location data.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Has anyone here tried using one of the GPS bluetooth receivers?

Example:
    Garmin Portable Bluetooth GPS and GLONASS Receiver

XGPS150A Universal Bluetooth GPS