mtbr member
    Aug 2008

iPhone & MotionX GPS App

I just completed a night ride around my neighborhood with my iPhone and the app MotionX GPS. The screen is the perfect size and much easier to view than when I use my Garmin Edge 705. Although, the 705 acquires satellites faster and is more sensitive, acquiring them inside my house. Since I did not have a bike mount for my iPhone I put it inside my pocket and MotionX GPS kept track of my entire ride just fine. I am hoping it will also work while inside a back pack for mountain biking.

Now to find a solid bike mount (or mod one), for the iPhone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I just ordered an iPhone RAM mount, the kind that works without an iPhone in a case. I am also going to to try the RAM Universal ATV mount that allows my iPhone to be used in an Otterbox Defender case. I took the suggestions from the MotionX GPS site.

I wish my iPhone showed heart rate and calorie burn with the MotionX GPS app, like my Garmin Edge 705 does.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My iPhone 3G RAM mount arrived today from Amazon.com $14.95 with free shipping and no state tax. It's nice and secure on the bike. My only issue is whether or not the back my iPhone will eventually get scratched by the mount holder. I have no fears of it falling of the bike though.

I would like the try the RAM universal ATV mount, so my iPhone can be inside its Otterbox Defender case, but I can't find this mount at a decent price anywhere yet.