mtbr member

iPhone GS3 & Motionx-GPS

Does anyone have experience with the application using Motionx-GPS off road use,on there new iphone yet! Looking for pro's and con's??

mtbr member
    I use it with the regular iPhone 3G, don't think theres a difference in use or software for the different phones. Should work the same

mtbr member
    Is there other software that works better or not?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragos
    I use it with the regular iPhone 3G, don't think theres a difference in use or software for the different phones. Should work the same
    Well yes, slight difference since the 3GS has the magnetic compass and they just updated motionX to use the compass rather than get bearing from the motion vector.

mtbr member

iphone GS3 & Motionx-GPS

Does this mean that the tracking signal is using Rogers celluar towers as opposed to satellite's?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I always thought that the cell signal and gps were 2 independent things on devices like the iphone. On my iphone 3g, when i lost cell reception at the top of a hill, my motion-x session stopped as well. it shouldnt have since i had a clear line of sight to the sky in a pretty metro area but it seems that the cell reception and gps go hand in hand. it makes me want to scrap the motion x idea on the iphone in favor of a standalone gps device like the 305. as far as motion x as an app, i do think it does an awesome job when you have signal

mtbr member
    ^^ what he said. When i first got the iPhone someone told me that the iphone uses the towers and the satellites for the gps signal, which i thought it was awesome but i had the same experience as rabid, if you lose cell signal the gps doesn't work

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I track all my rides using the iPhone 3g and motion x gps. I often have no cell
    reception at the top of the trail but the gps still tracks fine.

mtbr member
    thats interesting

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I emailed MotionX about the GPS app the other day.

Not only did they just add compass support for the 3GS, bu they will soon be implementing route import into the app as well. Hopefully they will support the standard GPX file format. Either way that means that soon we will be able import our own route soon - now all those routes I've collecting on garmin can be used to show me where I am on an interactive map while im out in the middle of the woods, pretty slick.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

cell vs gps location

Ok so here's the deal with the iphone "assisted gps". Have you ever had a tomtom or other car gps where it takes MINUTES to find the location? Well basically the iphone uses the cell location to cut down that time. It won't find your exact location, but it finds the location faster with the cell location helping the gps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gbvan
    I track all my rides using the iPhone 3g and motion x gps. I often have no cell reception at the top of the trail but the gps still tracks fine.
    What's your mounting setup?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery
    Ok so here's the deal with the iphone "assisted gps". Have you ever had a tomtom or other car gps where it takes MINUTES to find the location? Well basically the iphone uses the cell location to cut down that time. It won't find your exact location, but it finds the location faster with the cell location helping the gps.

That's exactly right. Stand-alone, the 3G and 3GS have no technology that talks to satellites. The Google Maps app for example triangulates using cell phone towers with sometimes less than positive results.
    2006 Specialized Tricross Sport Triple for in the city
    2009 Giant Trance X3 for out of it

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyZ37
    That's exactly right. Stand-alone, the 3G and 3GS have no technology that talks to satellites. The Google Maps app for example triangulates using cell phone towers with sometimes less than positive results.
    What? No actually that's not what I said.

There absolutely is a gps chip in the iphone 3G and 3GS (actually saying "talks to sattelites" is a bit misleading, since it's really just "listening to sattelites").

Example if you were out in the wilderness with no cell phone reception at all it could still get your lat/long from the gps chip. It just can't download any maps, and will take longer to fix position. So for apps like motionX that is just tracking your position, that can happen without cell reception.

Even my fairly basic LG phone has a GPS chip that reads out lat/long without need for cell reception. Still, I don't recommend using a phone for a GPS when you're in the woods. If you're running, road biking, or navigating a city, a convergence device would be ideal. But in the woods, my phone is off in the bottom of my pack for potential emergency use, but the GPS is on my h-bars for nav purposes. The GPS doesn't need a protective case, is more durably built, and is a single use device that I only depend on for a GPS signal (meaning the GPS can get smashed in a crash and the phone will probably still be fine for emergencies).

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jared703
    What's your mounting setup?
    Tossed in the sunglass compartment on my Dakine Nomad

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I use it to track all of my rides and so far it has been working fairly good. I have had a ride or two that has lost signal and was not able to reconnect so I lost half the trail, but for $3 to buy the app I would say it is worth it.

Here is one one of my trail reports I got from Utrack http://utrack.crempa.net/
    Wasatch crest_report.pdf

And here is the map that it generated........

W-crest_terrain.JPG