Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

iphone bike mount holder

Hey guys,
    i'm looking for something that will stay on my handlebar & not worry about falling off while trail riding...
    Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Me too!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Resist

Yeah,
    I already saw that thread...thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

otterbox

checkout otterbox case (you could ziptie one on your stem).
    Xperia X8 (ant+),garmin edge 800, Sporttracks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gmngueko
    checkout otterbox case (you could ziptie one on your stem).

hmmm...thats a good option but it would be hard to zip tie due to lack of holes to tie into...unless i drill some holes?

mtbr member

Otterbox

I have been looking around for the same thing. I did some searching on google and came across a sweet website that carries their stuff. You can check it out here --->Otterbox
    sewelldirect.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    f'd up and can't delete this post

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I got mine here. $35 and free shipping. Took a good hit today flying down some asphalt and the phone was untouched. The product is top notch. I was getting some good air today and the phone came off the handlebar mount 2 times, had to put the asparagus band on there

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I got my OtterBox Defender case from Amazon and love it. I can't find a decent bike mount though. I don't want to do the zip tie method because I want something that is easily removable.

Ride Good or Eat Wood
    Its a pretty sad day when I have to mount my ipod or iphone on a bike...... love riding my bike, don't need tunes or connectivity to pump myself up!!
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Red PeeKay
    Its a pretty sad day when I have to mount my ipod or iphone on a bike
    Not really considering if you use the MotionX GPS app for your iPhone. It provides you all the information and more, a cycling computer does.

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Anyone else with any ideas?
    Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Resist
    Not really considering if you use the MotionX GPS app for your iPhone. It provides you all the information and more, a cycling computer does.
    Ah,
    when I am riding, I'm too busy to look at devices mounted on the bar. I always carry my Nokia phone with me, and have recently been switching on the GPS too, so that I can show others where I've been.

If I have to answer a call (doesn't happen often), take a photo, or figure out where I am, I can stop and fish the phone out of a pocket.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have been trying to use my OtterBox case belt clip and use a Velcro strip to attach it to the bike. The only problem is the iPhone can fall out of the clip when the screen is facing forward. So a rubber band around the top part of the phone attached to the clip seems to work fine.

mtbr member
    I just keep my iPhone in a freebie "defective" bontrager frame hugger bag inside a mini crown royal sack , and depend on my cyclocomputer on the bars for cadence and everything else.

I would never want my Iphone exposed openly to the trail, even if it were in a "case" of some sort. If you dont want it to stay on the bike when you put it away, you can pretty much count on it being the first thing that flies off your rig if you dump in the woods sometime.

Freeriding Feline
    I took my iPhone last week using the "Trails" app. Kept it in my pocket the whole ride, worked perfectly! Very impressed with the app.
    There's a thread on a mount for the bike at www. macrumors.com, let me see if I can find it.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=676823
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby12many
    I would never want my Iphone exposed openly to the trail, even if it were in a "case" of some sort. If you dont want it to stay on the bike when you put it away, you can pretty much count on it being the first thing that flies off your rig if you dump in the woods sometime.
    Yes but this can also happen to a $450 Garmin Edge 705, which I have. My 16GB iPhone cost me $299 and if you have the hazard insurance from SquareDeal then you are covered against accidental damage.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Smile Bike Holder for PDA, GPS, Phone, iPhone, iPod, MP3

Quote Originally Posted by puffdc
    Hey guys,
    i'm looking for something that will stay on my handlebar & not worry about falling off while trail riding...
    Thanks in advance!
    why not try this one?
    Bicycle Holder for PDA, GPS, Phone, iPhone, iPod, MP3 (3)
    http://www.usbfever.com/index_eprodu...roducts_id=705

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jshthomas
    why not try this one?l]
    It doesn't look like quality construction.

The problem using an iphone or some other cell phone as a bike computer isn't necessarily waterproofness or accidental loss from the mount failing (though that can happen). The problem is that the electronics aren't made to handle the shock and vibrations you get when you strap it to the handlebars, even in an otterbox. If it stays stashed in your camelbak, there's less of a problem. If you put it on the handlebars, the device is going to fail because some electrical connection inside will fail. Thank you, I'll stick with dedicated cycle computers and GPS receivers...and no, the Edge is not a practical device for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Actually the iPhone is made to handle the shock and vibrations. They took this in mind when they made it with accelerometers and knew apps would do things with those sensors, like shaking. Even the iPod Touch 2nd generation had this is mind as it includes the Nike running app.

I would however, be interested in knowing how many (if any) people have had their iPhone fail due to use on their bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    There's a new app out called b.icycle which is seriously making me consider putting my iphone on my bike. Especially since I'm paying extra for the insurance option with my carrier.

http://www.apptism.com/apps/b-icycle

There's a couple of bike mounts which are made for the iphone at www.semsons.com and www.ram-mount.com but the problem is they offer no protection against stacks or the elements. I'm still looking for something which offers protection and is easy to mount.

I'm thinking of using an Otterbox and then attaching it to a generic PDA mount like this one.

https://www.expansys.com.au/d.aspx?i=125297

Its a bit ugly and bulky but at least its protected. I'd love to find something a bit more streamlined and don't mind the velcro strap to stem or bars option as long as the surrounding case offers decent protection. If anyone knows of any cases that have a hole or slot on the back for velcro or zip tie...

<><
    Check out gpscity.com they have mounts for just about everything. I've purchased from them three times and have been very happy with their service.
    They carry the RAM mount line.
    www.ram-mount.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have the RAM iPhone mount and it works great. If you want to keep your iPhone in a case then you want RAM's universal ATV mount.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast