mtbr member
    Jun 2008

iPhone 3G App GPS?

Has anyone found an app that use the iPhone as a GPS and record routes? With the new iphone which has a gps chip, position is precise by 1mm. I hope someone makes an app for this.

Anyone have any insight on this?

mtbr member
    hmmm wow 1mm ?? my $40,000 trimble surveying gps is only accurate to 5mm.

Those guys at apple sure are smart.... or its accurate to 1mm as measured on the iphone screen

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    it sounds to me you got ripped off 3034. hahaha just kidding

prob 1mm on the iphone screen

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm also waiting to see what apps are available as the GPS capability is my only reason for wanting to upgrade my 2G Iphone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm also waiting to see what apps are available as the GPS capability is my only reason for wanting to upgrade my 2G Iphone.
    I heard TomTom is going to make a navigation software for iPhone, not sure it is offroad compatible. Its a pity Apple dont use SirFIII GPS Chip in the iPhone cause it will be the coolest GPS device out there if it has Sirf.
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Apple is not allowing any GPS apps to be written for the I-phone In fact the GPS chip is not on full time, it only comes on to get a position via a fix on wireless towers and then it turns off again. There will be no turn by turn direction apps for the I-phone it's a battery life issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Apple is not allowing any GPS apps to be written for the I-phone In fact the GPS chip is not on full time, it only comes on to get a position via a fix on wireless towers and then it turns off again. There will be no turn by turn direction apps for the I-phone it's a battery life issue.
    Aww, that's a letdown. Let's hope Apple change their mind in the future
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

ballbuster

whelp....

Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    Aww, that's a letdown. Let's hope Apple change their mind in the future
    not directly. IIRC, the exclusion is actually for a turn by turn direction mapping. Also, there is a SDK for it, but you can only install apps through the iTMS, which basically means Apple has to approve the applicaitons that are available for iPhone.

That said...

I hear it has been jailbreak-ed already... meaning it can be opened up to other networks (but not sure of the point of that because you still have to activate it to walk out of the AT&T store, or the Apple store) but secondly, you should be able to install applications yourself, not through iTunes and the iTunes service.

Not sure I would want to risk bricking my iPhone over a hack.... at least not until it has been well proven.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LoIQ
    Not sure where you got your info from but as wheeltot said, Tomtom is developing an app for the iphone that includes turn by turn.

Check out some reads here: http://gizmodo.com/5025079/apple-doe...just-dont-care

Its just a matter of time. I hope someone develops one that records routes.

dog lover-not in that way
    This one looks promising: http://blog.instamapper.com/

Hack Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by LoIQ
    Jailbreak the iphone...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Well you guys should check out iTrail...

I just bought the app today for $2.99.

Basically you start the program and it runs in the foreground (so year battery will be an issue) but it basically sync every how ever many secs you set it to (10, 20, 30 etc) and records your travels. When your done, it provides, average speed, along with a graph showing the different speeds. Elevation etc all in line graphs... you can then view your trip on the googlemaps through the app... further more you can export the data to a .klm file which uploads to your google doc program and then loads directly in either google maps or google earth.

So far im very happy with the program, all it needs now is the ability to export the data (speed, distance, time etc) so you can keep a log on your computer.

Its actually pretty accurate when compared to what the sigma computer on my bike gave me for readings.
    www.garabaghi.com
    more photos
    www.tripxamerica.com
    Reviews by riders.

Hifi => Ex 9. Thank you warranty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    aaah, I see, the app is available in the App Store?
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    May 2008
    yep just search for iTrail... its $2.99

loading the data into googlemaps or google earth takes a little manual work, but the end results look something like this ...

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...03d21&t=h&z=14

Eventually i think there will be more data on the map / info i think... pretty cool so far...
    www.garabaghi.com
    more photos
    www.tripxamerica.com
    Reviews by riders.

mtbr member
    iTrail sounds cool, 'specially for $3.
    I was looking and found RunKeeper, $9.99. Won't have the iPhone for a couple weeks, might try them both.

Anyone try RunKeeper?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    runkeeper didnt let me export i dont think. iTrail 1.3 just came out look like its getting even bettere!
    www.garabaghi.com
    more photos
    www.tripxamerica.com
    Reviews by riders.