Lone Wolf McQuade

I just realized something.....

..... my Garmin 305 gets it's weather readings from the nearest weather station....that station may be 40 miles away and thousands of feet difference in elevation It would be great to have the unit take the actual temperature reading but how would it configure the wind? Oh well, I guess you can't have it all huh? I'm still very happy with it

My actual max elevation on my ride today was 4,714 ft. at Blue Diamond approx. 20 something miles away from the airport.
    McCarron Airport, in Las Vegas NV, has a weather station and it's where I get my weather/wind/humidity readings from.The elevation of the airport is 2181 ft........it's all good I guess.
    I should be out riding....

Double-metric mtb man
    Am I missing something? How do you set up the 305 (I'm assuming the Edge) to get weather info?
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    if it's like my 60CSx, you don't.

Motionbased looks it up for me.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    How close was your reading vs. 4714'?

It doesn't matter what elevation the barometric pressure reading came from, as long as it is reasonably near by. Twenty miles can result in some discrepancy, but unless you're on the other side of a weather front, it should be a tolerable difference. The barometric reading obtained from your weather station (LAS) is converted to sea level elevation.

You could always set your elevation at the trailhead, or at home (if it's closer to the trailhead than the airport). I use the "at home" method and my elevation readings easily remain accurate within 100' (much less, actually), even after I drive a few dozen miles to the trail (again, barring frontal passage).
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Lone Wolf McQuade
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyDean
    if it's like my 60CSx, you don't.

Motionbased looks it up for me.
    yep, yep , yep....my Edge 305 does not display the weather....it's when it's uploaded onto Motion Based, that's where it tells my the nearest weather station it's recorded the info from....the elevation/temp difference is usually 4 degrees for every 1000 ft. correct?. So, my actual riding temp was nearly 8 degrees cooler than what it shows....it's a friggin bike computer right- not rocket science... I'll shut up now I still love my little Edge 305.
    I should be out riding....