mtbr member
    Apr 2011

HRM Wacko Reading

My HRM, a Garmin, has way to high readings. I usually wet the surface with spit for contact. During a ride it goes 230-240 bpm periodically, can't figure out what to do to get it working better, I was thinking it might be the shirt also, I think a loose shirt screws it up more frequently. I can be pulled up to a rest an its at 190, pull around on it and reseat it starts to go down to more normal.

Curious if anyone else has had any luck using a gel on them or something.

Thanks,
    Brian

A quick search would turn up several suggestions. This question is covered frequently enough and slocaus posts excellent details about it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I find the biggest problem with my HRM is caused by dry shirts that have static built up on them flapping in the breeze. If the shirt is not flapping in the breeze, then there is no problem, and the issue usually goes away after the shirt gets sweaty.
    My Polar WearLink soft strap is faulty, and does not make good contact from one of the connectors to the respective pad. It does still generally work with the Polar transmitter, but will not work with my Garmin transmitter at all. Both the Garmin and Polar transmitters work well on the Garmin strap.
    The pad on the Polar WearLink strap is a woven conductive material. Pouring a little saline solution on the pads helps significantly. My Garmin soft strap has a smooth relatively non porous pad, and I have found wetting the pads made little difference and that I usually get sweaty enough for it to make good contact within 10 minutes of riding anyway. I have not tried it, but electrode gel should help at the very start of the ride.
    When there is a problem with my Polar HRM, the indicated HR usually goes to 0, or to a ridiculously high value. However with my Garmin, the indicated HR just generally starts wandering around when there is a problem, and sometimes I don't notice there is a problem for a while.

mtbr member
    Cold weather. And low battery are usually the cause

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks, had raced battery and found moisture inside also. So put tape over the cover to seal also. No little o-ring seal. Any ways working on so far.