mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How to transfer waypoints off of Garmin 800?

I've saved a few waypoints into my Garmin 800 that I'd like to extract to be able to view in Google Maps, Google Earth, etc. However, I don't see a means to extract or transfer the waypoints. I'm just using the Garmin Connect website to transfer information off of my device, so it may be that I need to install one of the Garmin programs? Can anyone point me in the right direction, preferably to transfer the info either by browsing the device or through a web based program vs installing any of the Garmin programs.

thanks!

no website is really set up to deal with waypoints. furthermore, you cannot really just download a couple. Every program I know of downloads ALL of them, and once you download them, you can choose specific points to save into a separate file if you want.

You should be using some kind of dedicated computer program for file management. Websites can and will lose data from time to time. Some have before. If you care about your data, you should keep a local backup of your files. There are so many programs out there that it really depends more on your computer and your uses. Minimally speaking, Garmin's Basecamp and Mapsource programs will do what you need. However neither of those options is the best. Most of the best programs are from 3rd party companies and cost money. They are worth it, but again it depends on your computer and uses.

Topofusion is my favorite for Windows. It downloads maps from online servers much like Google Earth, but it has a LOT more options and is better set up to do data analysis and manipulation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks Nate, that's informative - and about what I expected. Helpful though - I do have Topofusion installed, I'll see if I can figure out how to use that to pull the waypoints off of my Garmin.