mtbr member
    Jun 2013

How rugged is the Garmin 810 for mtb?

Just how rugged is the 810 for moutainbiking? Just about every GPS ever made will eventually issues due to the violent vibrations these offtrails subject the units - the montana, oregons, edges, and the GPSMAPs units. I've read about motherboard breaking, battery disconnections, internal circuitry damage, even an internal montana antennae dislocating from the motherboard. These were all used in off road on bikes and motorbikes.

I've read the edge units do freeze after a long ride but a reset will usually bring it back? Any known serious issues?

They aren't "all" going to have issues eventually.

I've been riding with an Oregon for a number of years without issue.

Now, they all have the "potential" to have issues. But that is going to depend on the way you ride, your local riding conditions, and some variation from unit to unit.

Your Best Friend
    I have a Garmin 305, 705 and 810. They all work perfectly with no issues. Lots of abuse on all of them. Never had a unit freeze either. Only thing I can think of with the 810 is I'm always wiping my sweat off of it.

mtbr dismember
    Quote Originally Posted by Machoman121 View Post
    I've read the edge units do freeze after a long ride but a reset will usually bring it back? Any known serious issues?
    Reading the wrong stuff. Never had such a thing happen with the 800 and I assume the 810 isn't much different.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    do u think it's useful to add some kind of padding to the unit to absorb the vibrations? I've got the GPSMAP 62s and noticed in rock gardens the unit will vibrate really violently as the shocks get transmitted to the unit on the stem/handlebar. i've drilled holes into the ram mount and used zip ties to mount the 62 to the stem under some bubble wrap. I'm hoping the bubble wrap would reduce the vibrations to some degree.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Honestly I would not worry about it. I too have an Edge 800, have 1200 miles on it, mostly all Mtn chunky riding, and had not had any problems at all. And with a few OTB moments too.