mtbr member

How do you record your rides?

Way before I got my Edge I used a standard cycle computer to record time, distance, speed, etc... Then I made a complex database file that I would enter all the data to and I could view/create an endless amount of reports to compare my own rides.

Once I got my 1st Garmin I used Garmin Connect, now the crappier version of Motion Based and still use it. But yesterday I uploaded a ride to Strava and from playing around with it today, I'm thinking I like it better than Motion Based. I love how it automatically finds and matches "segments" to your rides and other riders. I think I might have to say goodby to motion based.

Does anyone use anything other than the 2 that I mentioned? Just curious about the options and if there are anything better out there?

BTW...I still use my database and I don't ever see a web base program replacing it. But they are good for comparing and finding other rides. Yea, I'm a geek of useless data
    uʍop əpıs ɹəqqnɹ əɥʇ dəəʞ ɹəqɯəɯəɹ pəɥsɐɹɔ əʌɐɥ ʇɥƃıɯ noʎ sıɥʇ pɐəɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

I use Topofusion for my local computer. I can overlay multiple rides and do different sorts of analysis there as compared to the web-based stuff. also get a nice set of metrics that describe each ride.

when I first became aware of strava, it wasn't anything special. they've been doing a good job of improving it since then and it's a pretty solid service now.

a list to get you started:

The Giant GPS Data Sharing Shootout | The GPS Geek

Give it a crank
    When I lived a mile from a trail network I never bothered recording any info because I went there a few times a week, I knew all the trails, and didn't care about altitude gains I already knew before any ride. Once I got a better bike and started exploring new trails my records were just gps track logs in the form of maps I could later study to explore other trails.

Then all those funky online gps websites started getting attention and I've tried most of them, finally settling on just two, endomondo and strava. I particularly like strava because it looks up it's own altitudes which always have errors in my track logs. There are some other nice websites out there too, it's a matter of finding the one that suits your interests.

mtbr member
    I suppose it depends a little bit on what your purpose is in keeping records in the first place. The solutions may have to be different for someone who's interested in number-crunching ride statistics, compared with those for someone who's interested mainly in keeping a ride log.

I fall squarely in the latter category. I find it enough to keep the GPX file for the track of each ride saved in a folder hierarchy organized by date, along with a separate central spreadsheet that lists each ride along with a couple of key info (like date, distance, and who was riding with me).
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I really like Strava. The system of breaking down rides into segments really works because it allows you to track your progress on various segments of the ride. With most of the other programs you start a loop, if you stop to talk to somebody, flat, wreck, etc, your time on the loop is ruined. With Strava you only loose that one segment. Also, none of the other programs let you compete against other riders that use your trail system.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Bike Rides dot com....simple, easy, able to archive multiple years of ride data. No need for Microsoft Excel spreadsheet issues, or even a GPS...your basic Cyclocomputer is all you need - and its all printable, and sourced online.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

@trailgrinder
    Used to be a big motion based guy, now I stick to strava and love the competition and kom's that you can get.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    +1 Strava

Zero Miles from Myself
    Sport Tracks has lots of Details for tracking. Not web based ... download to your computer.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Save all my rides in Garmin Training Centre, upload anything I think other people might like to follow onto Garmin Connect.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    How do you record your rides I am rather redundant.

I use:

• an exel spreadsheet
    • ridewithgps.com
    • singletracks.com ride log for premium members
    • zone 5 software
    • a manual log in one of the scholastic (black-pebbled covered) notebooks

I'm not sure why I use the sports tracks as its data is always "off". As well it seems to require a plethora of plug ins to make it useful.

I quit Connect ages ago as it was vastly inferior to motionbased. Finally it has caught up ... but now I find ridewithgps a cr&pload better. More people need to discover it.

edit--what happened to the bullets--they are in preview but missing in the final post. MTBR message boards are so FUBAR at times.

Dissolved member

Comparison of Strava, MapMyRide and Nexus One performance

One more vote for Strava. I have a Nexus One which has a pretty sh*tty GPS. I first tried MapMyRide but their altitude figures did not add up. Worse than that, you cannot export your tracks from that site / from your phone at all. Then I wanted to use the Strava app, but they would not let you use Nexus One because they have so many problems with this phone. Finally, My Tracks from Google works as the last resort, you can record a track and export it to many different formats that online sites can import.

Just for the kicks, I compared the raw logs from the phone with Strata's adjusted ride information, with MapMyRide's trail info and with my town's official GIS maps (2ft contour lines).

I looked at three spots - start, lowest and highest point of my ride.
    GIS: 132-134ft, 102-104ft, 306-308ft
    Strava: 133ft, 104ft, 308ft, total el. gain: 509 ft
    MapMyRide: 186ft, 174ft, 282ft, total el. gain: 249ft
    Raw data: 105ft, 30ft, 224ft, total gain 480ft.

Bottom line for the altitude data:
    Nexus One raw data: unreliable rubbish
    MapMyRide: rubbish. Overshot min. elevation by 70ft, undershot max. elevation by 25ft, reported less than 50% of elevation gain
    Strava: spot on, pretty much 100% in agreement with my town's official GIS map.

Make your own conclusions but I choose Strava.