mtbr member
    Jan 2010

How do you load waypoints onto an edge 800?

I just "upgraded" from a 705 to an 800. I sometimes geocache while I ride and tried to put a .gpx file into the 800. I placed it in the newfiles directory but nothing happens except it disappears. The spec says it can hold 200 waypoints (vs. 100 without problems in the 705)

Has anyone been able to load geocaches or any type of waypoint on the 800?

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Do the waypoints then show in your "Locations" list?

The 800 doesn't keep the files as gpx like the 705 used to, it converts them internally.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    What I've learned since I made my original post is the 800 "converts" the gpx but barfs on it and the waypoints don't show up in locations. It seems the 810 works correctly. I gave the gpx to someone with an 810. The unit converted it to a .fit file which I could put in the 800 and it worked.

If I have to run the file through an 810 I guess I need to sell the 800 and buy an 810. Unless someone here has a solution.

mtbr dismember
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBear View Post
    ... tried to put a .gpx file into the 800. I placed it in the newfiles directory but nothing happens except it disappears....
    A gpx file put into the Newfiles folder is converted to a course when you turn the unit on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    A gpx file put into the Newfiles folder is converted to a course when you turn the unit on.
    My experience is different. If you load a gpx track or route then yes. If it just contains a list of locations (or at least a list of geocaches) it doesn't.

The 810, which should behave the same, correctly converts the file to locations - not a course.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I think the problem with the Geocaching(Groundspeak) files are these additional attributes in the GPX file:

{difficulty}3{/difficulty}
    {terrain|1.5{/terrain}
    {container}2{/container}
    If you load the GPX file into the BaseCamp application, it shows all the GeoCache information except those 3 items. I think those must be some extensions that the Geocaching.com site adds. I suspect the "proper" behavior is to read in the file and ignore any fields that the reader does not "understand", like BaseCamp does. But the Edge 800 reader must choke on those fields and then discard the whole waypoint before saving it.

I think I was either using BaseCamp to filter cache files or perhaps the GSAK tool kit to do the same. Problem is I used to do this on my old Windows XP PC and I'll need to boot it up again and see what tools I had installed on it.
    Last edited by 4Crawler; 08-12-2013 at 08:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks 4Crawler. Please post if you figure it out. Right now I'm thinking of trying to sell this 800. (It hasn't been on the bike yet) and springing for an 810 which handles the .gpx correctly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Looks like GPSBabel might do the trick:
    - GPSBabel: convert, upload, download data from GPS and Map programs
    - GPSBabel Documentation

nogc option

Do not add geocache data to description.

If your original data contains geocaching-specific information such as difficulty and terrain, GPSBabel will automatically include that information in the waypoint descriptions in the generated drawing file. If you do not want that, specify the "nogc" option on the command line (something like below):

gpsbabel.exe -i geo -f geocaching.loc -o gpx,nogc -F geocaching.gpx
    Actually seems to work fine on my 800, although the above command line complains about the "nogc" option, but it seems to strip out the offending Geocaching attributes. Note that you only have the cache GCxxx name and coordinates on the 800, but better than nothing.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Try this converter too....

Konvertieren | GPSies

...you may get some success. There's a GPX Waypoint option.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Crawler View Post
    Looks like GPSBabel might do the trick:
    - GPSBabel: convert, upload, download data from GPS and Map programs
    - GPSBabel Documentation

Actually seems to work fine on my 800, although the above command line complains about the "nogc" option, but it seems to strip out the offending Geocaching attributes. Note that you only have the cache GCxxx name and coordinates on the 800, but better than nothing.
    Wow, it is amazing that you were able to figure this out. I actually found a buyer for my 800 and am going to replace it with an 810. A friend has both and verified the problem on the 800 but says the 810 will read the gpx with no problem.