mtbr member
    Jan 2005

homemade computer?

has anybody ever built a computer..some of you may have heard of bike brain
    they use palm pilot as a computer

neat idea...then you can program all sorts of different features into it...take all the best features from all the different cyclo computers.

i'm trying to hook up a sigma sport to my dirtbike...but the stock wiring is ridiculously weak...i bought some small reed switches and more durable wiring (16 guage) and am splicing it onto the computer mount

looks like it might work and hold up to abuse
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

why not just use a GPS based computer?

An edge will give you all the info you need on a motorcycle.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Sounds like a neat project, though I'm trying to picture a Palm on the handlebars and it sounds bulky.

What sort of features would you implement that aren't already commonly available? How is the display formated?

Pics?
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

trail rat
    Bike Brain link.

Under "order"
    [SIZE="5"]BikeBrain Ordering Information[/SIZE]

You can be placed on our mailing list to receive the latest VeloTrend news. Simply send your contact information and your request to sales@velotrend.com

[SIZE="5"]We are not taking orders at this time.[/SIZE]

I looked at this years ago, being a Palm user for years, and before Garmin did affordable sports GPS. It was quite expensive, as I remember. All the dates on the site are 1999; I doubt it is being developed any longer. (shrug)
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Sounds like a neat project, though I'm trying to picture a Palm on the handlebars and it sounds bulky.

What sort of features would you implement that aren't already commonly available? How is the display formated?

Pics?
    if i could rig up a palm or some tiny computer like that..i could program it for various things, like simply cyclometer, speedometer..but i also race enduro, so i want to be able to input the roll chart and then have a digital display the possibles etcetera...but then i do dualsports, so i want to have the settable trip segments like on sigma sport comps.

i could just hook up the palm by usb to the reed swithch wire....

then i could use my old programming knowledge and cook up software to my taste..

i guess far off in the future, i could have a little computer on the 'dash' of my bike, with mp3, movies, internet, phone, and cyclometer...haha
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006