mtbr member

Are the higher Garmin models less problematic?

Been using a Garmin Forerunner 305 for years, and have recently been thinking of getting a bike specific Edge. The 305 pretty much does everything I want - tracks rides / heart rate data, and allows me to use the Course feature.

That being said, I see lots of threads on problems with different Garmin units. I was curious - are the higher models any less problematic than the now-dated 305?

I also hear of several people's Edge units falling off during rides. Are these cases where the securing mechanism fails / breaks? Or is it being inadvertently disengaged while riding?

every Garmin model has bugs that need to be worked out well after the release.

Most users of those models never have problems related to those bugs, but some do and the more you use them, the more likely you are to have a problem. I've owned several and the only problem I've had was with a bad firmware update for an Edge 705 that rendered the unit useless. Garmin replaced it no questions asked with a refurb that I sold in order to purchase an Oregon that suited my needs better anyway (I also sold a 76CSx, so I was consolidating two GPS receivers into one and I've not once regretted that decision). I actually ended up coming out ahead and was able to afford to purchase my wife her own Forerunner, too.

The mounts on the 305-705 models were flimsy to start with. Garmin improved the mount after the release of the 705 but it was a slight improvement. The mounts on later models are MUCH better. I had both mounts - a flimsy one and a better one. Neither gave me problems, but I don't ride (and crash) all that aggressively and the terrain I ride is much more mellow than mountain residents.

mtbr member
    I use a Edge 305, it's great for what I need it to do. The one I use right now is the second warranty replacement unit they sent me. The first one of the side "arrow" buttons stopped working. The second is a better known issue of battery contacts wearing out and shutting the unit off intermittently. It's been 3 years now, so I think those issue have been worked out. The mount is the only other issue. After some use (or sometimes in very cold weather), the locking tab can break off. It usually happens to me when I go to remove the unit from my bike. I buy them now on ebay for under $10 each and keep some on hand so if it does break, I just mount a new one on. Garmin Edge Bike Handlebar Mount for 205 305 605 705 (Buy via Auction!) | eBay

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i have a garmin forerunner 205 and comparing to other garmins with people i ride with i actually think it is pretty accurate. only had one problem with it when it deleted a ride during a ride. had it three years. would never trade it in. not very good at elevation tracking though. i mainly ride for time and mileage anyways
    "Want to ride some more miles...?"

Nickel Havr
    I have a Edge 800 and haven't had any major problems after several months of use...
    Never had any software or firmware issues.

The quarter turn mount is ok... But uses rubber type bands to attach to the bar instead of zip ties.
    I haven't had any problems with the mount though and hasn't fallen off through jumps or drops.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .