Thread: HELP Garmin 800

banned
    Aug 2012

HELP Garmin 800

I just bought a Edge 800 for cheap, and didn't realize that it came with the European Maps.

Question,
    How do I replace this with the U.S. map ?

I'll figure out loading topos and such later, but please ... Someone tell me I didn't waste all my saved money.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    there are base maps in the unit. The more detailed maps are on a memory card that is in the slot under the rubber cover near the bottom right. If there is a card there, se what it is. If it is european maps, buy the USA maps and you will be all set.

banned
    Aug 2012
    I kind of suspected such.

No SD card in the unit ... Base map is Europe, with no real details ... Checked out Paris, and can see major roads, but no details.

Is it possible, or even worth it to switch the base map to the U.S. ?

I've got a few places tagged (read about here) for getting detailed maps/trails of my State, but am always open to suggestions.

HELP Garmin 800

Can't really change them but it doesn't really matter because the basemap isn't useful no matter where you live. Install detailed maps for where you ride and forget about the euro maps.

You should be able to disable them in the maps menu under system, though, if they really bother you.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Glad you're around Nate ... I've learned a lot reading your comments and suggestions.

Are any of the detailed maps (Arizona) you know of, capable of using the search feature, and what might you know about ExpertGPS software ?

Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    Glad you're around Nate ... I've learned a lot reading your comments and suggestions.

Are any of the detailed maps (Arizona) you know of, capable of using the search feature, and what might you know about ExpertGPS software ?
    It depends on the maps you get and what you're looking for, but generally yes, the search feature is there and functional. If you install topo maps, you can't search for an address because they're not routable street maps (unless you find topos that DO offer routable street maps, but you'd be paying for those). If you want to search for an address, you'll need routable street maps. With topo maps, you should be able to search for some things. For what I have on my Oregon 450 (Indiana topos from gpsfiledepot.com and the MyTrails file, both of which contain some POI data) I can search for streams, churches, schools, business parks, parks, trails, etc.

I don't know much about ExpertGPS. I've bought a few different programs and didn't feel like buying that one, too. I really like Topofusion. The developer is a member here and also is from AZ (Krein).

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Open Street Map may work well for you. It's free, and downloadable.

I have no idea how well developed it is in your area. Usually the roads are all there, but some of the suburban ones aren't named. I've spent some time updating it for the streets around where I live.

You can download the whole USA here (www.osmmaps.com). It's updated monthly.

You'd probably want to put it on an micro SD card. You don't need a huge one - you should be able to get an 8 Gig for about $10, or a 16 Gig for about $15. A faster card (higher "Class" number) is a few extra $, but is a better choice for this application.

If you just want a smaller area (like just your state), then the download link is here (garmin.openstreetmap.nl). In the "Choose a predefined country" section, use the "North America" drop down to pick your state. On the map that appears, you can pick other map tiles you might also want. You'll get an email with a download link when your map is ready. Depending on how busy the servers are, it could be right away, or in an hour or two. It may be small enough to put on the internal storage.

This one is live - the most current OSM data as of your download. If you update some streets in your burb on OSM, then download again, your updates appear on the new download.

Hope that helps.

banned
    Aug 2012
    One step ahead of you Ian, but thanks.

I've loaded my State on a 32g class 10, and am in process, as I write, of replacing it with a 4gig IMG of the entire U.S. mainly just to check it out (from garmin.openstreetmap.nl) ... I'll most likely file it away and stick with my State, and a few topos that I got from ExpertGPS.

Got any suggestions on a good (easy to edit) trail making program ?
    I've worked with CAD and GIS software, and what I've seen thus far (limited) doesn't seem that friendly, or is limited in usage, although I must admit, I haven't looked much.

Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    One step ahead of you Ian, but thanks.

I've loaded my State on a 32g class 10, and am in process, as I write, of replacing it with a 4gig IMG of the entire U.S. mainly just to check it out (from garmin.openstreetmap.nl) ... I'll most likely file it away and stick with my State, and a few topos that I got from ExpertGPS.

Got any suggestions on a good (easy to edit) trail making program ?
    I've worked with CAD and GIS software, and what I've seen thus far (limited) doesn't seem that friendly, or is limited in usage, although I must admit, I haven't looked much.
    There's a pretty convoluted process for making trail maps with a lot of additional data using instructions at GPSFileDepot - Free Custom Garmin Maps, Ximage hosting, tutorials, articles and more for your GPSr. To be honest, I don't have a lot of use for it.

You can try GPX2IMG, which I like for being a lot simpler, to make transparent overlay trail maps. You can overlay them on topos or street maps, whatever you want. The free version limits the number of .gpx files you can add, but if you make your trail maps in GIS first, then export the shapefile to .gpx (for a more complicated network of trails, anyway), you can fit more data into the free version. If you pay for the full version, it's cheap, you can just pile on the .gpx files for each trail segment you want in your map.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    There's a pretty convoluted process for making trail maps with a lot of additional data using instructions at GPSFileDepot - Free Custom Garmin Maps, Ximage hosting, tutorials, articles and more for your GPSr. To be honest, I don't have a lot of use for it.

You can try GPX2IMG, which I like for being a lot simpler, to make transparent overlay trail maps. You can overlay them on topos or street maps, whatever you want. The free version limits the number of .gpx files you can add, but if you make your trail maps in GIS first, then export the shapefile to .gpx (for a more complicated network of trails, anyway), you can fit more data into the free version. If you pay for the full version, it's cheap, you can just pile on the .gpx files for each trail segment you want in your map.
    Cool !!

This level of research might just become fun, with the right software.
    Shapefiles to GPX, time to learn something else ... LOL
    But will most likely take the easy route and figure out GPX2IMG as I don't expect to need a lot of complex trail creation.

Darn technology.

HELP Garmin 800

Topofusion does nice conversions from shp to gpx, which can be useful if your trail data comes from state or federal GIS servers.

It also has a nice track merger, simplification, and Network creation tool you can use prior to gpx2img. It has trouble on really dense and twisty urban trails, though.

Really, it is my favorite overall track management program and map viewing/planning software. Simple enough for daily use but enough tech for GIS guys.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Topofusion,
    Interesting, gotta look that over more ... Kind of surprised at the price.
    I expected it would be quite a bit more.

Thanks again !!!

ETA:
    WOW !!!
    I can see why you're using it ... Just the ability to link to pictures would make it very appealing to anyone wanting to know/remember where an image was taken ... And the stuff you mentioned is just icing on the cake.
    Point reduction (simplification) is a big plus, as is the ability to blend data.

Dang,
    A serious goldmine's worth of features.

mtbr member
    I use this page to always get the latest map db from OSM.

The readme file at the bottom tells you how to choose your region, or just get a 8GB SD card and download the whole USA. In addition to roads, I was amazed at the amount of singletrack that is in the database, even the newest trails in my area are on there.