Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    69

    Help on First GPS

    Looking to purchase my first GPS. I would like to stay with Garmin. I want something easy to use and something I can download maps other have made. I hate getting lost, as I always try to squeeze in a last minute ride.

    Any suggestions on mounts and models would be helpful. I hope to pickup this weekend.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lule's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    474
    Beware of Garmin's "Lifetime" mapsets. They shafted many users when they changed map software companies a few years ago. Garmin wouldn't give a penny off the price of the new lifetime mapset to the owners of the old lifetime mapsets. No love at all from ol' Garmin. I'm sure the mapping software company change was already in the works when I bought my lifetime mapset, so they sold me goods that they knew wouldn't be honored in a few months.

    Sounds like fraud to me. Garmin can pound sand.

    -Lule

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    69
    Garmin wants $200.00 for a navigation bundle. Can anyone tell me what that is? I know I can download maps, so I am not sure what the navigation bundle would be.

  4. #4
    mtbr dismember
    Reputation: Wherewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,581

    Garmin 800

    Garmin 800. You can grow into it. Topo maps are free so you don't need to buy any. It comes with a great mount.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    39
    i purchased the garmin dakota 20 strictly for hiking. now i am going to find a good mount and use it to cycle with

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    671
    Garmin 20, 450 & 750/800 are all good for MTB'n. The 750/800 are geared specifically to biking so keep that in mind if you intend to dual use your GPS. You also want to look at a GPS with a barometric altimeter as it'll give better elevation numbers & not short you miles. There are other Garmin biking GPS's but they lack a mapping screen & you mentioned that was important to you. Also, don't buy the Garmin maps, there are plenty of free ones available on line & most are better then what Garmin has to offer.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    39
    everyone keeps talking about these other options for maps for the garmins. i purchased the TOPO U.S. 100K - Southeast & Puerto Rico for mine, mainly because it included my state and not everything else.

    what other options do we have?

    Thanks

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by bcruze View Post
    everyone keeps talking about these other options for maps for the garmins. i purchased the TOPO U.S. 100K - Southeast & Puerto Rico for mine, mainly because it included my state and not everything else.

    what other options do we have?

    Thanks
    GPSFileDepot - Free Custom Garmin Maps, Ximage hosting, tutorials, articles and more for your GPSr

  9. #9
    Rep Power: Infinity
    Reputation: NateHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,646
    Quote Originally Posted by Lule View Post
    Beware of Garmin's "Lifetime" mapsets. They shafted many users when they changed map software companies a few years ago. Garmin wouldn't give a penny off the price of the new lifetime mapset to the owners of the old lifetime mapsets. No love at all from ol' Garmin. I'm sure the mapping software company change was already in the works when I bought my lifetime mapset, so they sold me goods that they knew wouldn't be honored in a few months.

    Sounds like fraud to me. Garmin can pound sand.

    -Lule
    There is no such thing as lifetime updates for topo maps. Just use the free ones linked above for your off-road use and you won't spend a dime on maps.

    OP, you don't really say much about what it is you're looking for. While I agree with Wherewolf that buying something with more features than you want now allows you to grow into the device and use different features as your desires change, the Edge 800 is not the only model that would give you room for that.

    You say you don't want to get lost and that you want maps. There are still several models that would meet those needs. Did you read the sticky at the top of the forum?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    69
    I got the Edge 800 as a gift. I am sure it is a great unit, but I am not smart enough to use it. So now I am have to sell it. I will just use my phone if I really need something.

  11. #11
    mtbr dismember
    Reputation: Wherewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,581

    Illiterate?

    Quote Originally Posted by River Hill View Post
    ... I am not smart enough to use it...
    Illiterate?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    Illiterate?
    Steve,

    Maybe if I was a professor I could figure it out?

  13. #13
    Rep Power: Infinity
    Reputation: NateHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,646
    Quote Originally Posted by River Hill View Post
    Steve,

    Maybe if I was a professor I could figure it out?
    you don't have to be. it's fairly straightforward, but you need a basic understanding of maps and navigation to get the most out of it. it's stuff anyone can learn and I've seen elderly technologically-averse people figure the basics out on less user friendly models.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •