mtbr member
    May 2013

Help!! Error Message on my Garmin 510!!

Hey all,

I just purchased a Garmin 510 and went to go upload my ride today using Garmin Connect. When I tried to manually and automatically upload it, it is saying that it failed, and that it is an internal error!

I don't know the first thing about what to do! The ride synced fine to connect on my phone via blue tooth, so I don't know why its not working on my comp!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Help!! Error Message on my Garmin 510!!

Quote Originally Posted by cminsky View Post
    Hey all,

I just purchased a Garmin 510 and went to go upload my ride today using Garmin Connect. When I tried to manually and automatically upload it, it is saying that it failed, and that it is an internal error!

I don't know the first thing about what to do! The ride synced fine to connect on my phone via blue tooth, so I don't know why its not working on my comp!
    Do you have the Garmin Communicator utility installed on your computer?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Yes I do!

If it synced to Connect through your phone already, why does it matter? Hard reset and move on.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Because its not showing up on my home computer

mtbr member
    When you go on Garmin Connect, and connect the USB lead, does it recognise your Edge 510? It should come up with the serial number etc.
    On my Edge 500 it does not recognise the unit unless I plug in the USB cable AFTER I log on to Garmin Connect.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusdriver View Post
    When you go on Garmin Connect, and connect the USB lead, does it recognise your Edge 510? It should come up with the serial number etc.
    On my Edge 500 it does not recognise the unit unless I plug in the USB cable AFTER I log on to Garmin Connect.

Ya, as far as I know it recognizes it. I tried both ways and still nothing. I put in an email to Garmin Techs so we will see what they have to say. I tried the FixFit program too, and that didn't work either. So who knows

mtbr member
    So it recognises the unit but won't download the ride data?

sometimes rides get corrupted. not much you can do about it except make sure you get rid of the bad data, do a reset, and start over.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    sometimes rides get corrupted. not much you can do about it except make sure you get rid of the bad data, do a reset, and start over.
    Alright, I will do what you suggested and do a hard reset and see what it does! Thanks!

I guess the biggest thing is that I don't understand the nature of how rides get corrupted and such. So, if i knew more about the format of the Garmin and so on, then it would probably be easier for me to understand!

the file is just a specific type of XML document. Pretty easy to understand them when you can get them out of the device. Sometimes files get corrupted. It's impossible to pin down why in many cases. However, having a full activity log seems to be a definite contributor. Obviously, in your case, that shouldn't be the problem since it's new. After you do a hard reset, make sure the firmware is updated. That could be a factor.

Next, before you go on some long ride that then gets corrupted and makes you frustrated, do some tests around the block. Throw them onto Garmin Connect. Download them directly to the computer. Try Strava or some other sharing site. When you start to get a demonstrated history of it working under certain situations, if you have trouble in the future, it might help you identify something different that occurred that caused you problems.

mtbr member
    I would echo the above.

Just try the unit out again, and also check on the Garmin website to see if there are any software updates for your device.