heads spinning with HRMs

is there a HRM in existence that's reliable, and relatively cheap?

i already have computers on both my road & mtn bikes that work great (vetta rt255 and cateye strada wireless, respectively), so its not really necessary that i buy a HRM/computer combination...though for a good price i wouldn't be against replacing one of them.

i've been scanning my local craigslist for them....i'll see a various one listed as "new in box (name brand) heart rate monitor" - i'll type the model number into google to find reviews, and they're all upset people. "lost signal 10 times during ride, the company replaced it and i have exactly the same problem"...."battery died after ___ number of rides, can't replace it myself"..."gets interference from everything....even cars passing"...."doesn't have (important feature) that i need" yatta yatta yatta

i'll cross that one off the list.

okay, maybe i get a garmin 305. but then i think of my bank account and how i shouldn't really drop $250 right now.

okay, maybe i'll check what pricepoint has. don't want to get the cheapest one on the list, cause you know that'll be ****. maybe a cateye v3, since i've had a good experience with my current wireless one. check ebay....can get it for $120 shipped. not bad. check reviews at RBR. average rating 2.87, and a bunch of pissed off customers.

i just need something with zones (intervals), that will last awhile, won't give funked readings, that will mount to my handlebars, without dropping a ton of money. i really don't think that's too much to ask.

help?

thanks.

I got a Polar HRM from an REI garage sale for $10. I don't remember the model (it's not printed anywhere on it), but I think it retails a little over $100. All I had to do was get a new watch battery and it worked fine. I use it at home on the trainer a little, but mostly at the gym where the chest strap syncs with a lot of the cardio equipment and displays my HR where it's easier to see.

It's got all the features you need, and I think I could get a kit to hook it up to my computer to download the data. I think it stores exercise info for 1 week before starting deleting stuff. If you have a nearby REI, I'd totally suggest going to their garage sale to find a HRM. When I bought mine, there were several there for sale.

I think I will buy a Garmin Edge 705 soon, and this one will probably go to my wife when I get the new one.

I haven't had interference trouble with it, but I've only worn it a couple times on the trail, and never on the road.