mtbr member

GPSMap 62s - Average Speed showing higher than Max Speed

My Garmin started doing some weird stuff recently. The most noticeable is when I'm done riding, the average speed in the Trip Odometer view is higher than the displayed max speed. For example, my max speed might have been 22 mph but my average will be something like 38 mph.

The max speed seems to be fairly accurate and in keeping with what I remember for the trails I frequent. I've tried to update the software, but it still does this.

Anyone know what could cause this or better yet how to fix it?

ben

Quote Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
    My Garmin started doing some weird stuff recently. The most noticeable is when I'm done riding, the average speed in the Trip Odometer view is higher than the displayed max speed. For example, my max speed might have been 22 mph but my average will be something like 38 mph.

The max speed seems to be fairly accurate and in keeping with what I remember for the trails I frequent. I've tried to update the software, but it still does this.

Anyone know what could cause this or better yet how to fix it?

ben
    Can you post an example file here? As an attachment or a link/embed to a data sharing site?

mtbr member
    Hey Nate,

I just checked a file from this morning's ride and the file looks to be correct. Checked another file from about a month ago as well, and it is also correct. This means that the display on the GPS unit itself is reporting inaccurately somehow. This puzzles me even more.

GPSMap 62s - Average Speed showing higher than Max Speed

First, how many activities are stored in the handheld's memory? Most modern handhelds auto archive tracks and they can fill the memory. There is an archive folder where they all go. The amount of memory used for maps also matters.

Second, have you performed a hard reset? The technique differs for each device but you can look it up. It basically wipes the device and is always the first thing you should try if the device starts behaving oddly. Give that a try and let me know