mtbr member
    Oct 2006

GPSMap 60 CSX - any benefit for more track info?

I am just getting used to my new Garmin. I am using it for track mapping for another project (that is almost got all the pieces together!) I did a couple of trail maps so far and noticed that a couple of switchbacks are a little straight. I have a 1GB microSD card. I am thinking that putting the unit on more track info will help resolve it. There is an even higher setting. Since I have the space....

I am using TopoFusion and am walking slowly through the custom mapping directions.

Besides a lot of extra points to edit and fix when its mind "wanders", does anyone else have an opinion one way or the other about increasing the track point info?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I always record at the highest resolution possible. Whether or not it is just wasted space I don't know. Just try it and see. Ride the same section a few times and see if the tracks overlay or not. You could try it at different resolutions and let us know what you find. Some of the units are supposed to be 'smart', so maybe in the end it doesn't make much difference.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Most pro mappers recommend setting it to 'Auto'. I've found that works well for me.

Try it and see.

Bigger is better for the memory cards for sure.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

I record at a pretty high resolution, and I also usually cover an area a couple of times so I can get an idea of an average. If you've got the memory, then I say use it. If the points end up being too much, you can always delete them to make your saved files on the computer a little smaller.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I tried the Outer Loop and Red trails at Chicopee this weekend. Even at max, it was 1000 points. No fear on a 1GB card. I will do it a couple more times and network them to see what I get. Thanks