Thread: gps units

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

gps units

Hello all... since I'm brand new here I'm probably making a mistake just posting this without reading through but I'm impatient ..
    Anyway what I'm looking for is advice on a gps unit for my bike
    I'm not so much looking for all the heart monitors and all that but one that will keep a good breadcrumb trail if you will and get me back to my truck alive after a day trouncing around the woods on unmapped trails
    Maybe they all do this but the reviews seem to focus on the ability to navigate trails
    Also do any of them work as an automotive type navigation unit. Saving myself some money buying a new unit to replace my wife's sure would be a plus
    Thanks for your help

gps units

Only the Garmin Montana series will work equally capably in the car (with the dock) or trail. But it is huge. Not so great on the bike.

A smaller handheld with mapping would do what you want in the woods but fall short in the car.

mtbr member
    Get an android phone. The Google navigation app is great for the road, and get the backcountry navigator app for the trails. Problem solved. I'm sure there are equivalent Iphone options.

I don't know how Garmin is still in business. Seems like a thing of the past.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Get an android phone. The Google navigation app is great for the road, and get the backcountry navigator app for the trails. Problem solved. I'm sure there are equivalent Iphone options.

I don't know how Garmin is still in business. Seems like a thing of the past.
    The android navigation is no way as good as a stand alone gps unit in a vehicle ..I've tried both side by side.. I've got an android phone and I would only use it as a last resort.. I'm looking for a unit for my bike not my cari was just hoping I could find both
    I want a unit that will keep me from getting lost in the woods on unmapped trails
    Forget I mentioned in car mapping
    I want a unit that will leave a breadcrumb trail leading me back to my starting point or a particular way point
    All I read seem to focus on mapped trails and other features like lap times my heart rate and things I'm not really concerned with
    I just want to not get lost

mtbr member
    Like I said, Backcountry Navigator for Android. It does what you want. As far as stand alone GPS units, I think they all do what you want, as long as they have a map display and aren't the type you need to download your info to a computer to see your track.

I was being a bit facetious about Garmin, but regardless of how good a Garmin may be, my phone does everything I need for most situations.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I appreciate your input but this isn't the info I'm looking for .. I don't want to use my phone for this purpose . My phone will be safe and sound in my pouch when I ride
    First my battery life isn't sufficient in my opinion
    Second its not durable enough to withstand the elements and I rely on it way to much in my line of work to risk destroying it..
    I want a unit mounted on my handlebars that I don't have to worry about if it gets wet or I go down
    I'm more looking for options on what units other people have used or have some knowledge of
    I've downloaded a few different apps for s&g's and they are ok but I'm not overly pleased
    But I am gonna try that app