mtbr member
    Aug 2006

GPS track to google earth shape file

The trail maps suck here. Is there a way a GPS out there that I can take with me, then export the info to make a shape file that will work on google earth? I want to make the trails into a shape file so we can share them as needed.

Thanks
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 2000Z3M View Post
    The trail maps suck here. Is there a way a GPS out there that I can take with me, then export the info to make a shape file that will work on google earth? I want to make the trails into a shape file so we can share them as needed.

Thanks
    Chris
    Mtbr does not provide trail maps. Google Earth is also not compatible with shapefiles. I think you have your vocabulary mixed up.

Trailhead Poseur
    The way I do it is to use my Garmin (a 310XT Forerunner, which is really a running/tri GPS and not bike-specific) to map the trail, then import the track into SportTracks. SportTracks will export to KML, which can be viewed in Google Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by jjaguar View Post
    The way I do it is to use my Garmin (a 310XT Forerunner, which is really a running/tri GPS and not bike-specific) to map the trail, then import the track into SportTracks. SportTracks will export to KML, which can be viewed in Google Earth.
    If that is all you want Google Earth can load the .gpx by itself. You just have to get it off of the GPS. Current.gpx on most models. Some will auto archive or auto save and they will name it something else at that point usually with the date and time in the file name.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Mtbr does not provide trail maps. Google Earth is also not compatible with shapefiles. I think you have your vocabulary mixed up.
    While I know MTBR does not provide trail maps, I can still make my own. Opps, shapefile is for falconview, I meant KML.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jjaguar View Post
    thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000Z3M View Post
    While I know MTBR does not provide trail maps, I can still make my own. Opps, shapefile is for falconview, I meant KML.
    Shapefiles are a common geographic information systems format used by a lot more programs than that.

For kml files, Google Earth can convert .gpx files directly.

mtbr member
    This is what I use at work for file conversions. It was written by the Department of Natural Resources of Minnesota. We use it for converting files from multiple different brands of GPS' and google earth.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mis/gis/DNRGPS/DNRGPS.html

Quote Originally Posted by krishnavi View Post
    The most basic method of creating a KML file is to open Google Earth and create markers that you can save to a .KML file. In addition, you can also bring in existing data to create a .KML file. To convert a Google Earth file to a shapefile you will first need to download a script from the ESRI website. The script is free, however you may need to create a user account. This account will also be free.
    OP is talking about creating a kml from a gpx file. No need for esri scripts or extra programs. Google Earth can do this conversion by itself.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    2000Z3M:

Not sure which program you are using, but using BaseCamp as an example:

Select the track in BaseCamp that you want to use in Google Earth

File | Export | Export Selection

Save it on your desktop.

Open Google Earth

File | Open

Change the drop down to All files (*.*)

Select the .gpx file you saved above and click Open.

Select all three options. If you don't select Create KML Linestrings and the track has a large number of points, the track will truncate.

In the left pane, expand Temporary Places | GPS Device | Tracks | {Name of your file} and select Path. Right click, select Properties and rename Path to something that you prefer. You can then drag it up to My Places.

Right click on that and you can Save As, Share or Email.

If you are using something other than BaseCamp, then the essential element will be File | Export or Save As. Most online solutions (Garmin Connect, Strava, etc.) also allow you to Export .gpx.

To get that back into BaseCamp, for example, just go File | Import and change the file type drop down to KML/KMZ. Send it to your GPS.

Cheers