mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Which GPS? (Specifically for Europe -Germany)

Hi,

I'm struggling to decide which GPS unit is best overall for me. My primary use would be for navigation (off road) and not a cycling computer. It seems like there is really only one option: Garmin Edge (605 or 705) Note: I'm not interested in the older versions (Edge 305) as cost is not a major concern. But, I don't require any of the cycling specific features such as; heart rate, cadence, speed etc... are there better options? For example, what about the Garmin Colorado? However, if the unit is great at navigations and happens to also have the training functinality built, I will of course be happy to take it!

There seems to be lots of issues with the Gramin units and the mapping is not very intuitive (especially if your outside the US and UK). My friend uses an eTrex here in Germany and he tells me that preparing new routes for rides very 'complicated' and is like having a second hobby -one hour of preperation for a couple or hours of riding. This is what I for sure want to avoid!!! Also, I'm only going to be living in Germany for a couple of years and I don't speak (mcuh) German -so I it's even harder for me to find routes, convert files, etc...etc...

Why does'nt a company such as TOM TOM produce a cycle specific version with Topo maps for Europe??? I love their user interface and functionality (big touch screen, icons, voice activated) and they already make one for motorcycles. I guess it's all in the maps?

Thanks!

JEA
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Hi Ludwig,
    I am using the new Etrex Legend Hcx, this is a robuste handheld mapping receiver.
    I use it in combination with mapsource, City navigator europe 2008 NT and the topo maps.
    I live in holland near the german border, I use topo maps of holland and germany.
    Mapsource allows you to create tracks in the topo's , this will take approx 5 minutes to create a nice track. I also use oziexplorer to create tracks.
    The etrex vista Hcx is the same as the legend but has a compass and barometric altitude sensor as an extra accessoire, nice for skiing and cycling in the mountains.
    But I don't need this. The altitude data is also logged on the legend receiver, This is the gps data and not the barometric data. But for me the accuracy is good.
    The edge series is good for training using heartbeat monitor, candence sensors etc.
    In my opinion overdone when you are not training but just make some mountianbike tours.
    The colorado is a brand new device, at this moment I havent seen many reviews about this device in combination with mountainbiking. So I can't help you with this.

Regards JE

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for your response. Yes, it looks like the Hcx might be the one. The Colorado has been getting some very mixed (even bad) reviews.

Are the Navigation features on the 705 and the Hcx the same???

JEA
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I think so, the Hcx when using the city navigator europe 2008 NT can navigate you through europe and even to a lot of eastern europe areas. When using the same maps on the edge 705 it will be possible also I think, but that should be mentioned on the Garmin site.
    The Hcx is en very sensitive sensor and has about the same performance as the 60Csx, but this receiver is larger and I think to large for the mountainbike.
    JE
    Last edited by JEA; 05-23-2008 at 01:47 PM.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    i have both a 60csx (for a long time now) and a new 705 (which the mrs gave me for our anniversary last night!).

the edge is a *lot* smaller than the 705 and i'm going to try using it on the this weekend for a 12 hr race.

i have the city-nav and will be trying out the nav features too, will try to remember to update after the weekend. I have put the same map load on both devices (all NA citynav and selected 2008 topo us) so the routing and such will be good to compare.

the 705 *screen* is much nicer, and in some ways the buttons are very much more handy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Well, I just ordered a 705 package (from the UK), which comes with bundled with 'Europe Road Map'. I thought this map would be good for my road bike.

As I live in Southern Germany, I thought about getting the 1:25 Topo Garmin maps for the mountainbike.

Any other suggestions for maps???

JEA
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Germany topomap complete 001003
    http://www.garmin.de/karten/outdoor/deutschland_v2.php

only the southern part 001001

JE

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Will the Garmin topo maps work on a mac (OSX)?

JEA
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I don't know, i think when mapsource is working on the Mac, the topo's shouldn't be a problem.

maybe some more info here
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=3885

or this one
    http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...35&whichpage=3

you can do a search on mapsource bobcat topo
    http://www.google.com/search?q=mapsource+bobcat+topo

here today
    Quote Originally Posted by ludwig1
    Well, I just ordered a 705 package (from the UK), which comes with bundled with 'Europe Road Map'. I thought this map would be good for my road bike.

As I live in Southern Germany, I thought about getting the 1:25 Topo Garmin maps for the mountainbike.

Any other suggestions for maps???
    Hi ludwig, I live in Munich and am using a 60CSx with that TOPO Germany map. It's great. Don't really need anything else, oder?