mtbr member

GPS software for Linux?

With Windows, I like Topofusion but I'm giving Ubuntu Linux a shot. There are some programs out there but I figured this would be the best place to find some useful critiques.
    What I want ideally my software to do:

Display tracks
    Edit, merge, split tracks.
    Display elevation profile
    Display in 3D
    Correct elevation profile using DEM
    Climbing analysis ( a logical algorithm for elevation gain that gives realistic results).
    Downloads free maps from the internet (no need to load separate maps).
    Playback of track with elevation display, or multiple tracks simultaneously.

You get the picture (I'm describing Topofusion )

I saw this program called Viking that works with Linux. Anyone know anything about it? Any others?

GPS and GIS are the reasons why I still use Windows. I'll admit it's been awhile since I looked at Linux GPS software, but the last time I did, I couldn't find squat. I used to run a dual boot system because Linux is a nice OS with a lot of options, but because of the GPS/GIS limitations, I found myself finding better options in Windows.

All I know for Linux is QGIS, which can do just about everything you want in conjunction with the command line GRASS tools. But you won't like it. It's very technical. Getting it to download maps from online requires you to find the WMS (web mapping service) servers and set them up individually and manually. Topofusion lets you do this, but has a bunch already set up for you so you don't have to worry about setting more up if you don't want to.

mtbr member
    My latest version of Ubuntu (12,10) has a "software center" app with several GPS options to download, but its tough (and boring) to look at descriptions to figure out if you will like the software or not. I guess I'll have to do some experimenting.
    I'm doing the dual boot thing also. Its my second attempt at trying to like Linux. As with my first try, I find it to be very cool, but then some simple little task comes up which takes forever to solve, when in windows you could simply do what you need to do in a few seconds. But Iknow I need to get past the learning curve.