mtbr member
    Dec 2011

GPS Questions Before I Buy

Hey all I need some advice.
    Up till now I have only used my iphone 4s with the Strava app. When using in the mountains I constantly loose service which causes my milage, elevation and other stats inaccurate.
    #1 Will using a GPS unit eliminate this issue?
    #2 What is a good unit for around $200
    #3 Is Strava or other apps necessary when using a GPS unit? I only use Strava for record keeping reasons.

Thanks for your feedback

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    1. The GPS antenna in a dedicated unit is much better then the one in an Iphone Mine still occasionally loses signal in tree cover. As long as you can see the sky the GPS should have no problem.

2. Garmin edge 200, 305, 500, Garmin Oregon 450
    3. You will just upload your files to strava from a PC. No app is needed on the device
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    1. The GPS antenna in a dedicated unit is much better then the one in an Iphone Mine still occasionally loses signal in tree cover. As long as you can see the sky the GPS should have no problem.

2. Garmin edge 200, 305, 500, Garmin Oregon 450
    3. You will just upload your files to strava from a PC. No app is needed on the device
    I would not call the Edge 200 good for mountain biking. I would instead recommend an eTrex 10 or 20.

I have not lost GPS signal in the forest with any device since about 2005. Slow signal lock? yes, been there a lot. Drops in accuracy? been there, too. The eTrex 10 and 20 are compatible with the Russian GLONASS satellite network in addition to the US GPS network. It means faster signal acquisition and a boost in accuracy in iffy situations. To get this feature on a fitness model, you have to pony up for an Edge 510.

Download your data to your computer, then put it wherever you want. You don't have to put it online if you don't want to. You can simply keep your logbooks on your computer with programs like Sporttracks and such if you're not interested in sharing it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    very good! Thanks.
    I will look into the above mentioned. Reviews are so fickle in that there are always those that give a bad review. Don't know about others but for me one negative review seems to weigh heavier than multiple positive review. Haha. I will b e buying soon though.

Quote Originally Posted by givati View Post
    very good! Thanks.
    I will look into the above mentioned. Reviews are so fickle in that there are always those that give a bad review. Don't know about others but for me one negative review seems to weigh heavier than multiple positive review. Haha. I will b e buying soon though.
    I tend to look at trends. A single negative review is oftentimes someone who had unrealistic expectations prior to their purchase, or their negative review might reflect an experience with the retailer or shipper rather than the product. if there are many negative reviews (or positive reviews) mentioning the same thing, then there might be something going on. but unrealistic expectations are a huge problem with people's negative experiences with nearly everything. most poor reviews can be chalked up to that in some way or another.

The Edge 200, for example. It is an entry level fitness GPS. Garmin does a poor job of marketing it. With the functionality it has, it is best suited for road riding. Its one sampling interval setting makes it pretty much crap for mountain biking. For mountain biking, you kinda need 1 sec recording intervals. More frequent would offer better track accuracy at speed, but 1sec is currently the best you get for track recording. People who give poor reviews of the Edge 200 expect it to do more than it can, but the features and specs are clearly outlined. Part of the issue with customers having unrealistic expectations is that they are not adequately educated about what the features mean on the ground. Garmin could do better here. They should have learned their lesson with the Edge 500. When it was introduced, it offered only smart recording, also. Mountain bikers were furious, so Garmin introduced a firmware update to add 1sec recording (they did that on some of their Forerunner models, too). With 1sec recording, the Edge 500 is much better than it was. There is some debate about whether it's "good" for mountain biking now that it has the higher sampling interval. My take is that it's probably plenty good. I have been using my Forerunner 310XT on the bike for awhile, which is even smaller (smaller antenna) and it is recording just fine at 1sec intervals, and is not perceptibly different from my Oregon 450. It's nice to use when I don't need maps for familiar trails.

For that matter, if you also run and don't need detailed maps, the Forerunner 310XT can be found within your budget online as a refurb, too. I got Garmin's 1/4 turn quick release adapter for it so it quickly snaps from wrist band to bike stem in seconds. There is a screen that will simply show a basic track overview (with no basemap data) like on the Edge 205/305 models, but you have to specifically enable it to see it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I will be using this GPS exclusively for MTBing. I don't need a lot of bells n whistles. Mileage, elevation, ave. speed, just a simple unit that is accurate and consistent.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nate and I have differed on the edge 200 before. Search the Forum and maybe you can find the discussion. The edge 200 works great for me on the MTB. The smart recording setting is accurate enough for me and where I ride.

PM me

smart recording on ANY GPS gives me junk tracks. I'm in thick forest with twisty trails in the midwest. 1 sec is the only way we roll here.

And because the Edge 200 might be fine in some situations and no good in others is why I will not recommend it for the mtb. I will recommend it only for riding where it would have higher reliability, and that pretty much means road riding.

mtbr dismember

"Smart recording" ain't so smart

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    smart recording on ANY GPS gives me junk tracks. I'm in thick forest with twisty trails in the midwest. 1 sec is the only way we roll here.
    "Smart recording" ain't so smart.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've been using an Oregon 450 to log / share my rides with friends. Its loaded with Birdeye imagery and extra goodies. Not sure if you are familiar with the Oregon's ? How they work is when the device is on The Oregon automatically creates a GPX file (log). Its very easy to create a log of only your ride. There is a program on the Oregon called stopwatch. At the beginning of my ride I start "stopwatch". When I'm done I stop it. It logs everything done during that time span and saves it in a dated GPX file. I import these GPX files into logging software on my computer (I use Ascent on a Mac). I also like to share rides between friends. For this I use gmap4 (see below). Based on Garmin releasing the new 600 series. The Oregon 450 is on sale for $200.00
    Garmin Oregon 450

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/beta...ay-1315_58.gpx

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Now I have 3 choices. haha
    Opinions are like you know what's. Its good though. I now can research these three units. Just hope I don't get more confused.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Has anyone used or know anything about the Lowrance Endura Outback? My Brother in Law uses this unit and says its the best. He doesn't use it MTBing however.

mtbr member
    I recently purchased a Garmin 500 and this is the first time I've read anything about sampling rates. It's funny as I've been noticing how pointy and jagged the lines are. It's more noticeable when you overlay with a neighborhood i ride through where all the corners are severely cut off.

How is the E-trex for handlebar mounted durability and does it offer the same programmable split screen HUD that displays your info?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Edge 500 can do one sec sampling. Its just the 200 that limits you to Smart Only.

PM me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    The Edge 500 can do one sec sampling. Its just the 200 that limits you to Smart Only.
    I'll take a screen of my ride when I get home.

mtbr member
    It cuts most corners like this..... FYI I have never set foot in those peoples house.
    GPS Questions Before I Buy-map1.png

This trail is quite large and by no means tight. Absolutely butchered.
    It's not like it's cutting in and out as it's giving me real time speed.

GPS Questions Before I Buy-71f82d73-18ad-49d8-8e9d-df4ca21679b4.jpg

GPS Questions Before I Buy

Smart recording is the default so if you did not change it, you need to

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Smart recording is the default so if you did not change it, you need to
    Thanks a bunch for the heads up Nate. I had no idea about any of this until this thread.
    Took me a bit to find it but figured it out. I'll report next ride to see how it helps.