GPS phones only fit for urban walkers

I wouldn't go QUITE that far. but out of the box, I agree. a GPS phone needs additional accessories to make it fit for outdoor use.

another problem I see is that since smartphones are so popular, they put GPS tech in the hands of people who are spatially clueless. I've seen it often enough myself. People who cannot read a paper map are usually the ones who manage to get lost when they are using a GPS.

grough — Mountain rescuer: 'GPS phones only any use for urban walks'

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I dunno I use one all the time successfully. Then I used to use a map and compass.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    1-2 years ago I might have agreed, but the phones and apps have improved so much- I'm running GPS kit on an iPhone 4s, and it's capable of great things. More importantly, I have never had issues with location accuracy in the , even though I almost never have 3g coverage when using the GPS apps. If I had experienced any issues, I would have gone and bought a GPS... but it just hasn't happened.The ability to cache maps and save images and text onto the phones for offline viewing give the phones an undeniable advantage.

Taking the equipment out of it.... if someone is clueless and unprepared, phone vs. GPS vs. map& compass won't likely make any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    if someone is clueless and unprepared, phone vs. GPS vs. map& compass won't likely make any difference.
    this is the message that I take out of it.