Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

GPS noob, looking for the right unit

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  CheapWhine 
#1 ·
I like the Edge 705, it's expensive but it seems to do everything I need it to do. One thing that I was wondering about though was it's ability to navigate roadways as well as it does the trails. With this unit can I effectively use it as an in car gps? Turn by turn directions and etc? I was thinking about getting a separate and less expensive Garmin for my car as well as the 705, but if the 705 will do it all, I'll just get that. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks

#2 ·
zeeduv said:
I like the Edge 705, it's expensive but it seems to do everything I need it to do. One thing that I was wondering about though was it's ability to navigate roadways as well as it does the trails. With this unit can I effectively use it as an in car gps? Turn by turn directions and etc? I was thinking about getting a separate and less expensive Garmin for my car as well as the 705, but if the 705 will do it all, I'll just get that. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks
No turn by turn directions in the 705. There are many threads about the 705, it has some issues. There are also many threads about choices. Many use the 305 for fitness stats, but it will not load maps. Others use the 60CSx, or VistaHCx, or 76CSx. Browse through a few pages of this forum. ;)

#3 ·
slocaus said:
No turn by turn directions in the 705. There are many threads about the 705, it has some issues. There are also many threads about choices. Many use the 305 for fitness stats, but it will not load maps. Others use the 60CSx, or VistaHCx, or 76CSx. Browse through a few pages of this forum. ;)
The 705 does have turn by turn directions if you have City Navigator maps installed. The turn prompts are beeps instead of voice prompts like a dedicated car gps.

#4 ·
Different uses

I think there are different tools for different purposes. The 205/305/705 series is great for riding a bike where you want compact size, long battery life and the set of functions you need on a trail (speed, distance, elevation, heartrate, etc.). You are moving at a relatively slow pace and you can look at the unit when needed (not really that often). You will want easy connectivity since you will be downloading from the unit frequently (after every ride).

The automotive units are different. I think you want the bigger color screen and the verbal directions. You often don't have the ability to look at too much detail due to speed and traffic considerations. Battery life is not as critical since you can plug it into your car. You will rarely, if ever, download from an automotive unit.

You could try to force-fit a model into an unintended use, but you'll be less satisfied overall.

If you are on a limited budget, maybe get the 305 and a portable car GPS...you'll have the best of both worlds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.