mtbr member
    Nov 2013

GPS for my bike and hike

OK so much information on the forum and so much on the inter web as well. I'm rather confused.

I don't need to know what is the "Best" but just some guidance to make an educated purchase.

I'd like a GPS to trek my bike rides.
    It should export the GPX file
    Heart Rate Monitor
    Altitude as I'm Mtn Biking

Pretty simple not a fancy thing but here's my kicker.... Hiking.

I was hoping to use the GPS for not only my bike but when hiking as well. Again I'd like to come home and export the file upload etc... I'm not really into the 3 day treks and worrying about getting lost. I basically walk my dogs up in the hills, the same trails I bike on from time to time too. This is how I got into my bike to begin with. I just keep getting intrigued by the maps. So if I could include that plus the heart rate I think I'm golden.

Thankx
    Last edited by Beer_Czar; 01-15-2014 at 11:34 PM.
    I brew the best beer around, don't believe me? Ship me a keg of your finest and I'll email a picture of me drinking it.

Ted
    Ted in real life
    I use my Garmin Oregon for both hiking and biking. I have had a 450 for the past four years and have just upgraded to the 650. The 650 is a definite improvement but is having some initial teething pains. Hopefully, ongoing software releases will take care of the issues. I just used my new 650 on an out and back ride yesterday and was surprised at the consistency (out and back tracks on top of each other).

I use the Oregons mostly for geocaching while I ride/hike. In the past I have also used my 450 for map making and have thought about contributing to the OSM map project. Maybe one of these days I will find the time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    If you have a smartphone, there are many apps avaialble that do all that.
    I use Sportstracker, it has altitude, HRM, I think you can export, but not certain (it links to your account on their website so I think the option is there, I just haven't done it).

You'd just have to pick up the Heart Rate Monitor...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you're primarily using it to track bike rides, I would go with a bike-specific model. I'm using a Garmin Edge 510, and I like the bigger screen and the information fields that are more of interest to biking (Total Elevation Gain/Loss, etc)

It doesn't have a specific hiking mode on the GPS unit, but once you upload the data to the Garmin Connect site, you can change the activity type to "hiking" or "walking" or "running" if you want to keep your ride data separate from your walks.

I used a Garmin Forerunner model before I got the 510. It's primarily intended for running. It would track some relevant data while I was riding, such as speed and distance, but I couldn't see other information until I got home and uploaded the data. The 510 is much easier to use when riding.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

The perfessor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    I use my Garmin Oregon for both hiking and biking. I have had a 450 for the past four years and have just upgraded to the 650. The 650 is a definite improvement but is having some initial teething pains. Hopefully, ongoing software releases will take care of the issues. I just used my new 650 on an out and back ride yesterday and was surprised at the consistency (out and back tracks on top of each other).

I use the Oregons mostly for geocaching while I ride/hike. In the past I have also used my 450 for map making and have thought about contributing to the OSM map project. Maybe one of these days I will find the time.
    - same here; the O-450 is great to me and meets my needs just fine..........
    Trifecta is Perfecta: 26" FSR Geared / 29er SS Rigid / 29er Ti Hardtail Geared

I'm your density
    Another vote for the Oregon 450. Mine's the 400 but very similar. Ability to use off-the-shelf primary or rechargeable AA batteries is a plus. I use mine for biking & hiking (recording and route finding), plus a little bit of geocaching.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    My vote goes to the eTrex 30. But the Oregon, especially if touch screen is important, might be a better choice.

Simple rechargeables in my 30 last 16 hrs of moving use. Maybe more. It's small enough to look only slightly dorky on the roadbike, but is totally at home on the expedition rig.

I like it a lot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    +1 Garmin Oregon

DFMBA.org
    Garmin Forerunner 310XT gets my vote. Lightweight watch. Wireless sync with pc. I use the optional Garmin handlebar mount ($12) when I ride. Modes for two legs or two wheels. Waterproof. 20hr battery. $180 online with heart strap .
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I just ordered the Garmin Forerunner 310xt with HRM and Handle Bar Mount for $200 shipped (next day!)

I picked this unit for the same reasons. Want to track my rides and my hikes, plus I was planning on getting a Polar HRM for use when I run, and this just puts it all into one device for me. If I need actual on screen mapping capabilities I already have a Garmin eTrex20. It doesn't see much use because I rarely need the mapping anymore, and I use it as a back up to my smart phone with downloaded map tiles when out hiking/hunting.

I also read that the 310xt got a firmware update a while ago that allows you to do 1 second sampling, which is perfect for mountain biking. (When it first came out you had to add a Power or cadence sensor to it to get the 1x sampling)