Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Got The Life
    May 2010

GPS mounting options

So I asked in another thread about the pros/cons of the Garmin Edge 200, which I just got. What about mounting alternatives? I was thinking of mounting mine on the top tube but considered the seat tube as well.
    I know the standard is the stem or handlebar but has anyone else successfully mounted theirs anywhere else on the bike ( a mountain bike specifically)? Got pics to show?

Thanks

Got The Life
    May 2010
    Ok, how about just pics of your standard mounted GPS ?

seat tube? how would that be useful at all? you can't see it to access the buttons. the antenna is not pointed at the sky, so you will get suboptimal reception. the mount is not intended to be used that way, so you may well find your GPS missing, and since you cannot see it fall off, who knows where it is?

you have a few viable options.

1. handlebar
    2. stem
    3. top cap mount (Purely Custom, Paul Components)
    4. top tube
    5. cockpit expander
    6. pocket

Got The Life
    May 2010
    dont necessarily need to see the screen while i'm riding. I just want the data for after the ride mostly.

So is the pocket option just as effective reception-wise provided I get a proper signal before I stow it away?

mtbr member
    Only one way to find out

mtbr member
    Here is mine, on the stem is for my 500 and on the top tube is the mount for my Oregon 400 for when I go to new places I don't know. Hope this helps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GPS mounting options-imageuploadedbytapatalk1340395483.496219.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Major Glory View Post
    dont necessarily need to see the screen while i'm riding. I just want the data for after the ride mostly.

So is the pocket option just as effective reception-wise provided I get a proper signal before I stow it away?
    Not necessarily. it doesn't matter if it has good reception before you put it away. like your seatpost idea, the pocket is a suboptimal location reception-wise. however, unlike the seatpost location idea, your risk of losing the GPS is much lower.

trail rat

All the Edge units have a flat panel antenna that works best when the GPS (screen) is facing straight up, which is why it is designed to mount on the stem (best) or bars.

If you have to have something different, bolt it on top of your helmet. If you want less than accurate data, put it anywhere else but stem or bars (or helmet top).
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr dismember

No

No. I tried it once and the mileage was way off on my regular route. Why would you not mount it as Fourtango's photo shows? Kind of dumb to buy a GPS and not use the way it is intended.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid_Android View Post
    Perfect on an MTB, let the GPS get wiped in crash and maybe, maybe save the brake levers that are more costly.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I use Cyclemeter on my iPhone in my pocket and have reviewed the map afterwards and it sure looks accurate. I do worry about it getting hit during a fall, but am not sure if that would be more or less likely than it getting lost or damaged on a handle bar or top tube mount. The handle bar mounts for the iPhone do include an extra battery which would be required if you plan to ride for more than a few hours and use it as a GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjdraw View Post
    I use Cyclemeter on my iPhone in my pocket and have reviewed the map afterwards and it sure looks accurate. I do worry about it getting hit during a fall, but am not sure if that would be more or less likely than it getting lost or damaged on a handle bar or top tube mount. The handle bar mounts for the iPhone do include an extra battery which would be required if you plan to ride for more than a few hours and use it as a GPS.
    This guy is asking about an Edge and you start talking about phones? You don't notice problems with the phone in a pocket because you have little idea of what you're looking at in the first place. Phones are not as accurate as a dedicated GPS and they suffer even more from suboptimal placement.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Looking for something different and not knowing what I'm looking at are not the same thing. I suppose my point was really that not everyone requires the same level of accuracy and that there are advantages to keeping it your pocket -- obviously at the expense of accuracy.

trail rat
    Looking for something different and not knowing what I'm looking at are not the same thing. I suppose my point was really that not everyone requires the same level of accuracy and that there are advantages to keeping it your pocket -- obviously at the expense of accuracy.
    I posted this in another thread.
    I've tried my android alongside my Garmin 750 and Garmin 60CSx and the GPSers are around 6-12 feet discrepancy in plotting. My android accuracy is about 80-130 feet off.
    So if you have a trail that has two branches about 50 feet apart, the GPS will get you to the correct one. The phone will not get you to the correct one.

And if you want to navigate using the iPhone, you will be knocking into trees and rocks waaaay off trail, since 80-130 feet off can be bad indeed.

[removing tongue from cheek now........]
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I don't navigate using the iPhone GPS, I just use it to look back on distance and speed. IE, I'll ride the same trail twice and compare times. I'm more interested in comparing my previous run to my current one than anything else, so as long as it is consistent, it works.

trail rat
    I don't navigate using the iPhone GPS, I just use it to look back on distance and speed. IE, I'll ride the same trail twice and compare times. I'm more interested in comparing my previous run to my current one than anything else, so as long as it is consistent, it works.
    To be on topic for this thread, how do you mount your GPS?
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    To be on topic for this thread, how do you mount your GPS?
    I mentioned it in my first post in this thread -- right before NateHawk called me out -- I put it in my pocket even though that makes it less accurate.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    Perfect on an MTB, let the GPS get wiped in crash and maybe, maybe save the brake levers that are more costly.
    You're probably right. Although I don't know why the stem or bar is a problem for the OP either. Custom stuff like this is cool I think. Just food for thought. There's a lot of great ideas and information about the mount in that thread that could be adapted.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Standard mounting spot for my Garmin 605

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I mounted mine on the bar. Little vibration to the unit. I like the stem free for pushing the bike (don't say why are you pushing the bike?). sideways screen read, has everything I need in a gps. AAA batt are lighter Under $200. garmin foretrex 401

[IMG][/IMG]

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    OK first upload of photo, sorry testing out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GPS mounting options-img_2530-1024x768-.jpg  

Got The Life
    May 2010
    Update - I went with the top tube mount on my Niner EMD. Its a good location for me and should hold up fine.

I'm your density
    Here's what I got for my Oregon 400 (from another thread):

Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    I got this one and so far it's been very stable on fast, bumpy descents (I ride a rigid fork).

I just mounted it to my stem, so the viewing angle is good. There's some flexibility in the base and cradle rotation to maintain a proper viewing angle (if you need to mount it on an "angled" part of your bars, for instance).
    I did have my first ejection event Sunday. Hit a babyhead at pretty good speed (enough to bottom out my rim), and the Oregon went flying up past my head. Battery cover off, batteries out, but fortunately the SD card stayed in and the unit works fine. I'll add a thin velcro strap or fat rubber band for extra security.

For the Edge 200 I don't see a comparable product by RAM, but there is this.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    That bar fly mount looks neat for the edge, would like to have one, except for the price! My last etex had a batt cover mount, often wondered about the plastic on plastic for cushion, and the vibration through the cover to the unit. I wonder if the edge gps's are so light maybe it dosen't matter.
    Had to add some foam to my foam mounted gps due to the foam compressing, now it's starting to look alittle funky.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GPS mounting options-img_2538-1024x768-.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast