mtbr member

GPS & Heart Rate in Video

A question I get asked quite often, is how to put GPS and other data into a video. Here is a video where we have overlaid Heart Rate and GPS data in a MTB video. The video is not that exciting, but it's a good example of what can be done.

The telemetry is taken from a FIT file straight off a Magellan Switch GPS and overlayed onto a GoPro HERO3 video using Dasware

Earth Wind and Water - Capture the Action
    http://www.earthwindwater.com.au

thanks for posting this. I have a question regarding the little course map you have in the video with the dot indicating rider position.

How does this software handle splitting of the video file? Meaning, if I'm on a long ride, say, and only record video occasionally, can the software correctly place the video clips on the map automatically for short clips with lots of time between them? Or do the GPS and video have to be synced outside the software?

Put another way, does Dasware geotag individual clips, or does it require the GPS file and the video to encompass the whole ride and be manually matched?

mtbr member
    That's a tricky one. With a camera like the Contour+ Dashware does everything for your. When using different devices you need to manually sync the telemetry with the video. In the case of a fit file it is relatively easy on a single ride as there is only one data feed to sync and you can use the speed and the motion of the video to get it pretty close.

If you have lots of short vids you would need to sync each of them. It would be easier to do each as a seperate project and then combine them in your favorite video editing software.
    Earth Wind and Water - Capture the Action
    http://www.earthwindwater.com.au

So for example with a GoPro Hero HD (a few years old) and a gps track (let's say the file is a .gpx this time), I'd have to use Dashware to identify the start location of every video clip I want to use and sync each clip with the .gpx track before combining the clips for one video? And I would still be able to get the whole overview map as part of the dash screen?

If I did a short lap with a single vid clip (my camera basically runs out of power at about 2hrs regardless of the mode it's using, so anything less than that comes out as one file), and synced it to a gps track of that ride, that's easy.

If I had a camera with an onboard gps that geotagged the vid clip automatically, that'd be even easier (and would be very easy with the multiple clip thing, too), but I'm assuming you'd still have to have a gps track of the whole route in order to get a complete overview map?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I think it s awesome to review performance as it can give you feed back on your time trial,as well as giving the viewer an idea of how hard you go which is difficult to transmit thru a normal video.
    like here you are near flat out 175 BPM the all way shows wasn't a leisurely ride
    I like it.
    there wasn't much space to overtake and catching all these guys on a 5km track, lost lots of time in traffic,