Thread: GPS coordinates

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

GPS coordinates

In Google earth there is a decimal system past the minutes on the grid coordinates. Does anyone know how this correlates to the degrees,minutes,seconds on your standard garmin gps?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Check out this first item that popped up when googling. Learn to use google.
    http://www.csgnetwork.com/gpscoordconv.html
    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save

"Mr. Britannica"
    can't you also change the units of the gps to decimal, plug the google coords in, then change units back to D-M-S?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    wmodavis,
    Thanks for the help! Even though your just google it answer is quite counterproductive. I'm not sure why you visit these forums if your answer is to just google your question. Even after scolding me to use a search engine, You were at least kind enough to post a link to help. THANKS MATE!

double post

Seriously, your question was a very basic one that would be better answered by visiting a website or reading a book that addressed coordinate systems in general, rather than someone typing the whole mess out. It was not counterproductive to tell you to google it yourself, as doing so makes you look the answer up yourself so you're not relying on other people for basic info.

decimal degrees is easier to relay between folks and easier to base calculations on. If you want the easiest, use UTM coordinates, but clearly you won't be able to handle that because I'm not going to explain it. You need to look it up yourself and do a lot of reading.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    egad--do you know how long it took me to do the research to geotag photos and make a google earth file, host these type files on a website, build a computer etc, figure out why my old wireless would not work with XP SP3, and a myriad of other stuff. often these type issues consume an evening or more!

yes, for some research is half the fun and I don't mind doing my own. I've handled nearly all my computer issues myself in this way.

however, often times searching for something is like the proverbial needle in the hay stack---it might take hours or days to find what you're looking for on google.

i certainly don't mind if someone asks a question.. afterall we likely know a great or some great resources off the top of our heads for quite a few questions.

..although I have been guilty of telling people "google is your friend" myself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    egad--do you know how long it took me to do the research to geotag photos and make a google earth file, host these type files on a website, build a computer etc, figure out why my old wireless would not work with XP SP3, and a myriad of other stuff. often these type issues consume an evening or more!

yes, for some research is half the fun and I don't mind doing my own. I've handled nearly all my computer issues myself in this way.

however, often times searching for something is like the proverbial needle in the hay stack---it might take hours or days to find what you're looking for on google.

i certainly don't mind if someone asks a question.. afterall we likely know a great or some great resources off the top of our heads for quite a few questions.

..although I have been guilty of telling people "google is your friend" myself.
    Finally someone that understands what forums are all about. Helping people with questions. If i would have known where to start i could maybe have figured this whole thing out myself.
    BTW If everyone "googled" everything all the time this website wouldn't even exist. stop and think before you hit the "Submit reply" button.
    Also a Huge THANKS to roadiegonebad for his suggestion to change the settings on my gps. That was actually the post the solved my dilemma.

Two Tired
    Once you find the answer, could you post a detailed explanation of the problem and the solution for the rest of us?? I know you will understand and appreciate this request.
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com