mtbr member
    Apr 2009

gps chip for mtbk

Ok so they have chips to locate your pet, so how do I get one for my bike?

Masher
    Aug 2007
    The chips don't locate your pet, they are a way to ID your pet if found by someone with the correct chip reader.

If you are referring to the collar for pets with GPS, you could put one of those on your bike but you'll have to keep the batteries charged, and if I was a thief it would be the first thing I removed, and I'd put it on a bus to nowhere...

trail rat
    The Spot GPS locator appears to be what you are asking for?
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hey fish, the chips that are in pets are implanted with a thick needle. They are there for good unless you cut them out. They dont need to be charged or require a external trans. I know this because the local pet store had about six dogs stolen in a smash and grab. the next morning cops were called and they traced the pups right to an apartment. How frikin cool is that?!! Amagine if your bike was stolen and you knocked on some dead beats door a few hours later with a cop and a shotgun!! That would be so GD awesome!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That link that you provided is for a handheld transmitter. You also need to push the button everytime you wanna send a signal. No dice!

Masher
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Goattrail
    Hey fish, the chips that are in pets are implanted with a thick needle. They are there for good unless you cut them out. They dont need to be charged or require a external trans. I know this because the local pet store had about six dogs stolen in a smash and grab. the next morning cops were called and they traced the pups right to an apartment. How frikin cool is that?!! Amagine if your bike was stolen and you knocked on some dead beats door a few hours later with a cop and a shotgun!! That would be so GD awesome!!!
    I know - our dog has one. The chips do not 'broadcast' a pets position. They are a passive RFID chip that resonates when you pass a reader over them, otherwise they are dormant and require no power. They don't have a transmit antenna, so they cannot transmit a location in order to 'trace' a dog to a location. Someone must have called in the dogs, and the cops ID'd them with the chip reader once they kicked the door down! The implanted chip did not lead the cops to the correct apartment...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Ok I would like to retract my comments on the chips for pets. I was told by an unreliable source that the pets were picked up via GPS. They do need to be scaned for at most a few inches away to receive a signal. The pet ID chips are for the purposes of locating the owner after the pet has been found by person with a scanner. DAMN! Anything that sends a constant trans needs a power source. R&D please help!!

Masher
    Aug 2007
    How about a power source for a GPS + transmitter that robs a very small amount of power from your pedal stroke? Then every time the crook rode your bike downtown for their meth fix he would recharge the batteries and the transmitter would send out the current position and the bike id... until the batteries died again! Hide the whole assembly in the seat tube!

"Mr. Britannica"
    garmin astro?

Masher
    Aug 2007
    The Astro is the collar I was referring to before... needs a recharge... same concept, however!

Mouth-Breather / Huffer

LoJack for Bikes?

When I was going through my MBA program, there was a guy in Oregon floating a business plan that focused on producing golf balls with GPS chips.

I don't know if he - or a similar concept - every made it to market, but at the time, I wondered if there was a way to incorporate the technology into bikes/frames. Pedal stroke, wheel turn, solar with battery back-up... there are several methods that might work, but I've never looked into whether it's been done.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yeah there's gotta be a way to change mechanical or kenetic energy to electrical. even if it only works when the wheel turns, or peddles are rotating.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    i'm on a mission to find what you are looking for. "trackstick" is the closest i've found so far. takes batteries though. i was thinking i could mount it under the seat...? i can deal with something that i can turn on when i need it and off when i don't to conserve power. i just can't tell if it has live tracking or not. "zoombak" looks real good, but there's a monthly service charge... wtf!? if tomtom can do it for 100 bucks and no monthly charge, then surely there has to be something out there... but where??? i'll keep u posted. i'm extremely determined...
    while you're shiftin' gears, i'm kickin A$$

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    while you're shiftin' gears, i'm kickin A$$