Rohloff

GPS, Camera, Waypoints

I want a plot my trail, take pictures along the way, note a few waypoints and put all this information in a file to look at later. I tried this with MotionX on my iphone but it didn't work quite like I wanted. I was able to record a few waypoints and take pictures but only one picture and none of the waypoints were sent to the file I emailed myself.

I've briefly looked at the Oregon 550T. Will this, another iPhone app, or another GPS unit do what I want?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    you pretty much described everytrail.com they have a few apps for the iphone. it is a nice setup.

The iphone is a pretty rotten mtb computer. Currently, the best options involve a little legwork on your part. Saving GPS points is easy. Even your iphone can do that, though I don't recommend it in the woods often. Geotagging photos is a bit more tricky. The Garmin Oregon can do it, but so can a few standalone cameras. There's even an add-on for Nikon SLR's to geotag and a few devices that let you geotag on your pc when you get home. You need to find what's most affordable and practical for you. Funny geotagging hasn't taken off much. I was geotagging photos with an old kodak (the one with the 3.5" floppy disk) hardwired to a Garmin GPS IV back in 2000 (before it was even called geotagging). That was actually a good system, but I haven't seen anything modern that compares.

Then there's the software method. You can take your GPS data, in .gpx format, I think, and some programs will match the timestamp of your gps log with that of your camera and automatically geotag on the pc. Just gotta make sure your camera clock is synced with the GPS clock.

The problem with trying to use a device that can "do it all" is that you're going to run into serious limitations, like you've found. The Garmin would work marginally better, I think, since it's designed for that, but the camera will still be seriously lacking. I'm thinking you need separate devices. Even if you get a camera with built-in geotagging, the GPS receiver would be of suspect sensitivity/quality compared to what Garmin and Delorme use these days.

Explore More
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdc
    I want a plot my trail, take pictures along the way, note a few waypoints and put all this information in a file to look at later. I tried this with MotionX on my iphone but it didn't work quite like I wanted. I was able to record a few waypoints and take pictures but only one picture and none of the waypoints were sent to the file I emailed myself.

I've briefly looked at the Oregon 550T. Will this, another iPhone app, or another GPS unit do what I want?

Well, if you want a dedicated GPS unit, the Oregon 550T would be the way to go, as long as you are ok with the 3.2MP max resolution on the camera.

Magellan has some units with built-in cameras, but I'd go with the Garmin.