mtbr member
    Jan 2004

which GPS allows map upload?

My Edge 205 seems to have finally bit the dust, so I'm in the market for a new GPS.

I've ridden with friends who were able to upload both a topo map and a GPS track in to their GPS, allowing us to determine if we were on or off course, a huge help when we've headed up to unfamiliar territory in the Sierras.

In looking at the Garmin site, it seems that only the Edge 800 allows for this feature. I'm also surprised to see that Garmin only advertises the Edge 800, 500, and 200 - I thought there were more models.

So - if I want a GPS that allows me to upload a topo map and track, am I limited to the 800 or are there other options?

mtbr member
    I am able to upload a topo map and track to my 705. I use gpsfiledepot.com for the map, and ride with GPS to upload a track.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grundy View Post
    My Edge 205 seems to have finally bit the dust, so I'm in the market for a new GPS.

I've ridden with friends who were able to upload both a topo map and a GPS track in to their GPS, allowing us to determine if we were on or off course, a huge help when we've headed up to unfamiliar territory in the Sierras.

In looking at the Garmin site, it seems that only the Edge 800 allows for this feature. I'm also surprised to see that Garmin only advertises the Edge 800, 500, and 200 - I thought there were more models.

So - if I want a GPS that allows me to upload a topo map and track, am I limited to the 800 or are there other options?
    For the "map" half of your question, if you're talking about uploading a separate topo map for each individual ride, you might be on the wrong track. There are some models that allow it, but the benefit of it may be minimal. The alternative to that could be to download a detailed topographic base map to your GPS of a large area (say, an entire state) and be done with it. Then you can simply upload just the track of each ride to your GPS and view it on that same detailed topo base map. That's what I've done with a free topo map of California that I've downloaded from gpsfiledepot.com.

Granted, while the topo map I use as base map has very detailed elevation curves, trails, roads, and settlements represented, it does not show every last piece of detail you'll find drawn on USGS topo quads, in case that's what you're after. But, it easily gets the job done in the vast majority of cases, and in the rare occasion when I'd like to be aware of a few specific spots of interest during a particular ride (that the topo map doesn't already show), I mark their locations as individual labeled waypoints and upload them to my GPS.
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

the Edge 605/705 have been discontinued, but can still be found.

look at the handheld models. all of them but the most basic models can load maps. you will want to look at the "mapping" handhelds. lots of options. many of them are even compatible with HRM and other ANT+ sensors.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Interesting, thanks for the pointers. I've been spending time looking at a variety of handhelds.

At this point, I'm starting to wonder if I'd be better off sticking with a low end GPS (my Edge 205 worked just fine for me) and looking into an iPhone app to handle a map and route for the few rides on which I'd like that functionality.

So, a new question: any rec's for an app that will allow me to load a topo basemap onto an iPhone, then add a route as well, along with a GPS marker for current location?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Have a look at MotionX GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by grundy View Post
    Interesting, thanks for the pointers. I've been spending time looking at a variety of handhelds.

At this point, I'm starting to wonder if I'd be better off sticking with a low end GPS (my Edge 205 worked just fine for me) and looking into an iPhone app to handle a map and route for the few rides on which I'd like that functionality.

So, a new question: any rec's for an app that will allow me to load a topo basemap onto an iPhone, then add a route as well, along with a GPS marker for current location?
    search through this forum - you will probably find relevant threads on the first page or two without running an actual "search". there are discussions about apps for nearly every phone OS out there. lots of opinions.