Thread: Gps

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Gps

Do any of you use gps devise to keep track of your miles. I have been using my phone but would like to get something permanent and something that would also keep track of my heart rate. I use a polar monitor right now so i dont need it to do that but it would be nice to keep it all in the same place.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Might check out strava.com

Posted w/ Tapatalk via Android

weirdo
    My wife gave me a GPS receiver for my birthday a few years ago. I got excited when I read about all the things that people do with them, but I couldn`t figure out how to make it do any of those things or make it play nice with our computer, so it went back to the store. Too complicated for me, but if you can figure out all that menu jazz, and loading maps, and whatnot they do sound useful.

mtbr member
    I have a Garmin, but not a model with the heart rate. It's been very reliable in all weather, as long as I don't forget to recharge it. I don't do a lot of downloading to the computer, but that worked OK. You can look at past rides right on the gps unit too, with the history feature. I also like that you can change how any fields show on the main screen and what they are, e.g., avg speed, max speed, clock, elevation, etc.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 305. It has heart-rate, gets the job done and was pretty cheap for what it does. You can load your data to google earth to look at it as well as graphs of speed, HR, grade. etc. Up to 4 at a time. On the down side, it's pretty clunky - literally on my wrist bone. I only use it if I am exploring off road and want to know where I've been. The 405 has come down in price a lot since I got mine and is a lot less bulky.

Adventure Mapper
    I just got the garmin etrex 30, which does heartrate and cadence if you have the wirless sensors. Its exactly what I wanted for training, endurance racing, and exploring. Check it out.
    I make maps and ride a SS El Mariachi with a rigid Fargo fork:
    http://forgivenick.wordpress.com/