mtbr member

Idea! Got a scratched HRM face? DIY refinish

Last week, I had a nice little fall which left my wrist unit barely useable. Everything still worked but I couldn't make out the display. Rather than throw it out or "make do," I figured I'd try to repair the display.

I reached for all the auto finish products stashed in my basement. The idea is simple--use an abrasive polish or rubbing compound to remove a tiny layer of plastic to minimize the appearance of scratches, i.e. sand it down.

I started with the gentle stuff (swirl remover, car polish) and that worked to a certain degree. But I needed something a little more aggressive and ended up using metal polish, the kind you use to shine wheels or other metal products. That was enough to remove most of the lighter scratches.

I then finished it off with a scratch remover wax which simply fills in the scratches a little while adding shine to the entire surface, though, most car waxes will accomplish the same thing and add a little protection.

So I managed to save my HRM and it took all of fifteen minutes. Yes, I should've taped off the logo and button labels but I think I can remember what does what. Overall, though, I'm fairly pleased with the result. Questions?

Joe
    Chicago, IL

I have had good results with fingernail polishing kits that my wife had bought years ago.

Ride More, Whine Less
    I like this...sort of McGyver fixes for everyday life.

Other ideas that might (but not tested to) work.
    I wonder if the headlight restore kits would work. This is the stuff that gets off the yellow haze and comes with a buffer disk.

Regular tooth paste and baking soda is a nice mild abrasive too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    I like this...sort of McGyver fixes for everyday life.

Oh, those are great ideas. I'm sure the fingernail kit includes a tough clearcoat finish. And the headlight and baking/soda ideas follow the same approach--a gentle abrasive to restore a smooth finish.

Good stuff.
    Joe
    Chicago, IL

Quote Originally Posted by joeinchi View Post

Oh, those are great ideas. I'm sure the fingernail kit includes a tough clearcoat finish. And the headlight and baking/soda ideas follow the same approach--a gentle abrasive to restore a smooth finish.

Good stuff.
    whatever chemicals the fingernail kit came with, I didn't use them. I just used the fine abrasive pads. I think there were 3 grits.

I bet the headlight restore kits would help, but I just recently used one and the coarsest grit was too coarse for a plastic watch face, IMO.