Got my Edge 705 today

My, the interface is indeed different. I've downloaded Training Center and am working on getting the thing charged right now so I can set it up. I also immediately upgraded it to firmware 2.90 so I can start off with that.

Looks like it came with all the old style bits & pieces...old style HR strap and old style mounts. Well, we'll see how long the mounts last. The HR strap doesn't bug me, it's essentially the same as my Polar strap.

At first it confused me that I didn't need to install any drivers...all that's on the included CD are product manuals. But I plugged it in and the computer detected it fine. Garmin's webupdater also found it fine. *shrug*

I will probably set it up for my bikes tomorrow. Looks like the GPS wants to know how much the bikes weigh. That's weird...at least I have a scale that can do that.

trail rat
    Supposedly the weight is used with your weight to calculate calories. I have never found a portable device that calculates calories well, so I just ignore them. All I want is cardio data and tracks for distance, time, elevation, and so on.

There are many discussions (and frustrations) out there about the inadequate algorithms used by Garmin for calories if you want to chase that.

I saw your other messages about GTC being so weak. I keep it because it does one thing well, giving a visual representation of improvements comparing rides along the same route.

CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I have my weight set to about 70% of my actual weight on the Garmin unit, makes the calories figure slightly closer to reality.

Get Mapsource installed and get used to moving maps, creating tracks, creating guided routes etc.

Plenty of free maps at www.gpsfiledepot.com

Got mapsource and got the free topos for my state.

I don't create tracks in mapsource...if I haven't been somewhere before, I'll do what I can to find a map or a previous track and use that as a reference. If I have nothing, then the GPS gets used for nav purposes as much as for recording my path.