mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Google to abandon "My Maps".

Well this sucks. I've spent years collecting and building a huge library of google "my maps". I've built maps of each of the major bike trail networks around my house, as well as a number of hiking routes and 4x4 tracks.

My workflow was to use either "My Tracks" on my android phone or my Garmin 62s to record the data, then I would analyse it on the home laptop. From there I would combine and overlay maps to build whole area maps which I could then access on my phone.

With the latest version of google maps for android, my maps is gone. Some sources say it may come back in a future version, but an inside contact of mine says it's just done. He claimed I am one of the very few who use it.

Seems they are more focused on helping people find the nearest coffee then serious map users.

Fortunately, it's still available on the desktop version, but even that is going away. The left sidebar on google maps desktop is asking me to try the new version. No thanks.

So now I've gone through to each important map, and downloaded a copy as a .kml file. At least now I have a backup.

Pretty choked with google for dumbing down what was such a useful app to the point of it being essentially useless.

Anyone else struggling with this? How about the new "maps engine lite"? Apparently, it's not compatible at all with google earth. No idea which way to jump, but I'm sure nothing is going to be as seamlessly integrated with my smartphone. Crap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Have you looked into Strava to store and display your rides? If you're using a Garmin device, you could also use the Garmin Connect site. They're both similar sites, in the way they manage rides. Strava is much more social than Garmin Connect, but Garmin can present more data parameters. Both sites have smartphone apps that can record rides and display your history.

If you have exported your Google Map paths to KML, you should be in good shape for a while. KML is a widely used format. Garmin and Strava won't import KML yet, but there are applications that can convert .kml to .gpx files, which can be imported into Strava in batches, or into Garmin Connect individually.

It does suck that Google is dropping this feature. I used it often to map out road trips, then access them from my car.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

There are other options. You are essentially doing GIS work, which isn't well-suited to online tools, anyway. Here's what I would do in your situation:

First, choose an easily available file format and use it for editing offline. .kml works well for this. It supports trail networks and things of that nature. From there just pick a program to work with the files. Google Earth is most people's default because it's free, but I find it limiting in certain ways when it comes to editing data. Topofusion works better for those tasks, and gives you easy support of multiple formats.

The next challenge would be accessing and viewing that data online from your phone. That's not so much of a challenge as long as you know where to look. GMap4 handles the viewing part, and the help files detail a couple of ways you can address the cloud storage problem and still use the tool.

If you explore a bit, I'm sure you can find other options, too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks to you both for the suggestions.

A few things I've discovered since, that are actually quite good.

First, when converting .kml to .gpx in order to create a transparent image, I found I could batch convert it, combining all the kml's I want into a single gpx that's easier to manage.

Second, by saving the kml files to dropbox, and then "starring" them on my phone (which makes them favourites, which are stored locally). Now when I select the file it automatically opens in earth for android. Pretty slick.