Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    161

    Good place to buy an edge 500?

    Looking for a deal on one of these.

    ProBikeKit has them for $207 for the base unit, or $267 for the bundle with the HRM and cadence...but it's shipped from the UK. Would a UK unit be the same one that we would get in the states or have differences? I've read somewhere that the Taiwan units have a different firmware or something that can make them not as desirable.

    Anyone know of any place to get one at a better deal?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    32
    I bought 3 different GPS devices from GPSCity - Garmin GPS & Accessories, RAM Mounts, Lowrance GPS, TomTom GPS at GPS City Canada and always had a good experience with them.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,070
    Brand New Garmin Edge 500 Neutral Cycling Computer | eBay
    $210 total for base unit

    Brand New Garmin Edge 500 w HRM GSC10 s C Sensor | eBay
    $275 shipped.

    I pulled the trigger on the Magellan Switch-up (got a great deal) yesterday, but I'm having a tad bit of buyers remorse after reading so many great things about the edge500 today, haha!
    Last edited by kikoraa; 02-11-2013 at 08:07 AM.

  4. #4
    sheep in FOX clothing
    Reputation: ghettocruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,109
    These things do fail sometimes. Buy from somewhere you can take or send it back to, even for a few extra bucks.

    But that doesn't mean overseas online shopping is a bad idea. Wiggle had a new warrantied 500 in my mailbox about 10 days after I sent mine back, and they covered all shipping costs.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,070
    Does garmin have a pretty decent warranty service? I didn't realize it was overseas until you mentioned it and I read their page a little more. I filtered US sellers when I was originally searching. If he were to buy one of these and it does malfunction, Couldn't he contact garmin and file a warranty claim?

  6. #6
    Rep Power: Infinity
    Reputation: NateHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,901
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    Does garmin have a pretty decent warranty service? I didn't realize it was overseas until you mentioned it and I read their page a little more. I filtered US sellers when I was originally searching. If he were to buy one of these and it does malfunction, Couldn't he contact garmin and file a warranty claim?
    I had a warranty issue with an Edge 705 once because of a bad firmware update and they only cared when I bought it, not where.

  7. #7
    sheep in FOX clothing
    Reputation: ghettocruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,109
    I made very slow progress with Garmin's warranty centre, and the warranty replacement part they sent had a shipping brokerage fee that exceeded the original MSRP.

    Much better no-questions-asked replacement going through the retailer.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post

    Brand New Garmin Edge 500 w HRM GSC10 s C Sensor | eBay
    $275 shipped.

    I pulled the trigger on the Magellan Switch-up (got a great deal) yesterday, but I'm having a tad bit of buyers remorse after reading so many great things about the edge500 today, haha!
    Is this the exact same unit with same features as the one most online retailers sell bundled for 349.00?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,070

    Re: Good place to buy an edge 500?

    Yup. Unless they're lying in the description but judging by their feedback I think its safe. I actually ordered one. It ships from Australia but takes less than a week to arrive according to my dhl tracking number. Another guy got the base unit from wiggle (UK) for $180 I think. I went ahead and got the bundle because I was planning on getting the hrm anyway and you save a bit getting it all. If you wait a few days ill post my opinion on that particular eBay sellers item.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    Yup. Unless they're lying in the description but judging by their feedback I think its safe. I actually ordered one. It ships from Australia but takes less than a week to arrive according to my dhl tracking number. Another guy got the base unit from wiggle (UK) for $180 I think. I went ahead and got the bundle because I was planning on getting the hrm anyway and you save a bit getting it all. If you wait a few days ill post my opinion on that particular eBay sellers item.
    Great, I can wait a few days for a review! Thanks!

    It says ships from US when I look at it. Is it saying Aus for you?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,070

    Re: Good place to buy an edge 500?

    I saw that but somewhere else in fine print it say Australia. Kind of lame. I even filtered us only auctions and that's how I came across it. Dhl tracking is definitely from aus.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoomerBrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    385

    Good place to buy an edge 500?

    I got the 500 at wiggle for $176 shipped with their 15% off coupon.

    15EXTRA


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,070

    Re: Good place to buy an edge 500?

    Quote Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post
    I got the 500 at wiggle for $176 shipped with their 15% off coupon.

    15EXTRA


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    This is what I was taking about earlier. It's from the UK right?

    So either way you get pretty bangin' deals but you may have to wait a week or so for it to arrive.

    Boomerbrian- if you don't mind, post your review of your item mainly about your experience with getting it from overseas when it arrives and you test it.

    I'll be doing the same with my bundled item from Australia.

    That way these folks in the fence, and looking for it cheap like us , can be at ease with either one of these vendors.

    I'm a big fan of positive feedback and "top rated seller" as far as ordering from eBay. I rarely order from anything but. Just be smart and don't leave feedback until you receive/test. That way they're more inclined to put up with a return and not have the negative mark while you also go through paypal to refund.

    I've been ripped off a couple of times but have always come out on top.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoomerBrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    385

    Good place to buy an edge 500?

    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    This is what I was taking about earlier. It's from the UK right?

    So either way you get pretty bangin' deals but you may have to wait a week or so for it to arrive.

    Boomerbrian- if you don't mind, post your review of your item mainly about your experience with getting it from overseas when it arrives and you test it.

    I'll be doing the same with my bundled item from Australia.

    That way these folks in the fence, and looking for it cheap like us , can be at ease with either one of these vendors.

    I'm a big fan of positive feedback and "top rated seller" as far as ordering from eBay. I rarely order from anything but. Just be smart and don't leave feedback until you receive/test. That way they're more inclined to put up with a return and not have the negative mark while you also go through paypal to refund.

    I've been ripped off a couple of times but have always come out on top.
    I'll post up a review. Not worried about wiggle though. Lots of people on this forum buy stuff there.

    I read some reviews on their site and the edge should work anywhere. Several people in Australia and the us are using the wiggle edge.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AirKuhl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    47
    My LBS price matched the Wiggle bundle including the HRM.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,070

    Re: Good place to buy an edge 500?

    Quote Originally Posted by AirKuhl View Post
    My LBS price matched the Wiggle bundle including the HRM.
    Nice! Smokin deal! Don't even have to wait like us! Mine hit CA last night. I'm all the way in GA so I'm expecting it early next week
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    161
    Just ordered the Edge 500 bundle from wiggle with the 15extra code...smokin deal.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,070
    Wow What a surprise. Got mine in the mail today. Everything is NIB all original packaging. I can't remember if I ordered it sunday or Monday but regardless, it arrived pretty damn quick in GA from Aus.

    Everything seems to be 100% toying with it. Ill slap it on the bike for my commute to work tomorrow.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    467
    Why should someone be concerned about buying from Wiggle (in England) just because they're in the US or Australia? It's a GPS unit that doesn't come with maps loaded to it ... should work the same in ANY country?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoomerBrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    385

    Good place to buy an edge 500?

    Quote Originally Posted by kfb66 View Post
    Why should someone be concerned about buying from Wiggle (in England) just because they're in the US or Australia? It's a GPS unit that doesn't come with maps loaded to it ... should work the same in ANY country?
    I live in the US and bought mine from Wiggle. No issues whatsoever.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,070

    Good place to buy an edge 500?

    Quote Originally Posted by kfb66 View Post
    Why should someone be concerned about buying from Wiggle (in England) just because they're in the US or Australia? It's a GPS unit that doesn't come with maps loaded to it ... should work the same in ANY country?
    Already been established my friend.
    Got mine from Australia.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by kfb66 View Post
    Why should someone be concerned about buying from Wiggle (in England) just because they're in the US or Australia? It's a GPS unit that doesn't come with maps loaded to it ... should work the same in ANY country?
    My concern would be shipping price and posssible cross border fees if I buy something abroad. Sometimes there might be slightly different version of devices firmware so I usually try to check for it before I order stuff abroad.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoomerBrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    385

    Good place to buy an edge 500?

    Quote Originally Posted by scanny View Post
    My concern would be shipping price and posssible cross border fees if I buy something abroad. Sometimes there might be slightly different version of devices firmware so I usually try to check for it before I order stuff abroad.
    Shipping was free and no taxes from wiggle.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,070

    Good place to buy an edge 500?

    Boomerbrian how are you liking it? I love mine and use it every ride,race and run. I hurt my back though and have been relatively immobile as of late. I kinda wish I went with the 310xt as I recently picked up running as have fallen in love. Overall very happy with the data I get from the 500. I'm a numbers junky and love knowing details of my riding abilities.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,070

    Good place to buy an edge 500?

    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    Boomerbrian how are you liking it? I love mine and use it every ride,race and run. I hurt my back though and have been relatively immobile as of late. I kinda wish I went with the 310xt as I recently picked up running and have fallen in love. The 500 doesnt support footpod and im not sure how accurate t is without. Overall very happy with the data I get from the 500. I'm a numbers junky and love knowing details of my riding abilities.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •