mtbr member

Good full coverage iPhone case for in pocket

I use a very thin silicon case for my iPhone because it spends most of its time in the front pocket of my slacks.

However, when I ride with it, I put it in the only pocket my shorts have...with my car key fob. The stick-on face shield (clear sticker thing) of the phone is getting scratched like crazy as it bounces around with the key.

What's a good, thin case I can switch to when riding that will protect the face of the phone? Otterbox is way too big.

Ski N Bike Tech
    I've used the OtterBox Defender. I found it to bulky. It does a pretty good job at keeping things covered, but I never put it through its paces. I returned it and stuck with my OB Commuter case.

I'm waiting the arrival of my LifeProof case. They are supposed to be the slimmest full cover case.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    DIY cheap solution:

1.phone armband for small arm
    2.put a plastic sheet under phone,
    3.put phone and PVC inside armband
    4.strap armband to stem (or pocket if you wish)

Ninja Master Powers
    I use the Otter Box Defender, it is bulky but it's nearly indestructible. I put the phone (in the case) in the belt clip with the face of the phone facing into the clip.
    The clip protects it from being scratched and the clip also help provide strength so the phone won't bend or break if you fall on it. Of course it not fool proof but it has worked for me without a problem for a couple years with both my iPhone 4 and now my 5.

I also have a Lifeproof case; while nice in my opinion it far over priced. The good thing about is that it is pretty water resistant, the OB isn't so much. Water resistance is why I bought the LP case, I take on dive trips with me and don't worry so much about water splashing on my phone.
    I don't think the LP case would protect the phone as well as the OB if you fell on it while riding you MTB. I know if you put the LP case in you pocket with key the face of the case will scratch.

The OB can be used without the belt clip as well and it's very nearly as slim as the LP if not exactly as slim. However if you fell on your phone without the belt clip you'd have the same result as you would if you fell on the LP case.