mtbr member
    Mar 2013

garmin to wahoo reflect+

to I ordered a garmin 510 showed up, right out of the box the touch screen did not work tried new softare tried factory reboot and everything I could. when I was researching the screen problem I found this was a common problem for the 510.

After being very frustrated, with garmin and wanting to get started tracking my 1000 mile year on 2 wheels in the dirt, I decided to go with the new wahoo reflect plus.

does anyone have this bike cumputer ? will the cadence sensor work on a full suspension niner rip 9.( I am worried the cadence/speed sensor will get hit when I ride in mud and fall off or get broken.) does anyone have trouble with a i phone 4s running out of battery with this wahoo on a 4 hour ride ? my phones battery will run out of juice ,when I use just the phone in only 2 hours but this reflect is saying it can give me all the info I need wile the phone sits in my camelbak , and only using minimal battery life ( I also have a back up charger for the phone I can use in the camelbak as well)

first, Garmin's pretty good about warranty stuff as long as you bought it from a legit seller and not some random guy on ebay or something. Furthermore, most legit sellers will even take care of you without you needing to involve Garmin on something like this. Very solid return policies where you could exchange for a functional receiver.

Second, search the forum. There is some discussion about the RFLKT+ and from what I recall, the actual use reports are not positive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I did some checking on line before buying the reflect and it was mixed. The main problem I had was right out of the box garmin did not work !

the wahoo is saving me 200 bucks and I hope it will fill my needs If not I am only out $150 not out $330.00 plus the speed sensor I was going to buy.

I took the extra money and got a new bell super helmit lime green my son loves the color and asked if he could get one too. I told him he would have to be old enufe for his mountain bike first he is 5

garmin to wahoo reflect+

It doesn't matter what you buy, there is always a chance for an item that is doa. What matters is how you are taken care of after the purchase. If you bought from a reputable seller, you would not be out any money for a bad product because you would get your money back or get a functional product. You are the first on this site who has mentioned a dead screen on an edge 510.

Everything I have read on this site about the RFLKT+ on this site has been meh at best. Hardly mixed. The overriding theme I get is that it is a good idea, not executed as well as it should. You can search for the comments about it to see why.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I did search comments on the RFLKT. did not bother me I use runtastic mountain bike app now and never lost a signal just lost out on rides because of batt life

I did get my money back and shipping cost back from Jensen usa they have been great. The Jensen sales rep on the phone told me this was the second problem with the 510 screen in the last few months and on garmin forums the screen problem looked to be a big issue this all together helped me choose to go with the wahoo.

I will give a review of my wahoo reflect plus and you can see how it works NateHawk . Do you own the garmin 510 and a wahoo reflect? you have a large opinion on both of them

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    NateHawk do you work for garmin?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I just returned my RFLKT+ and bought a Edge 510 which has performed flawlessly on 3 out of 3 rides. My only issue is that it does not seemlessly integrate with Strava. It does integrate with Garmin Connect which can then be exported to Strava. Although I signed up for CopyMySports which is an automatic upload from Garmin to Strava it has quite a lag and there are significant differences between the data sets especially on the elevation. Garmin uses the GPS location and then uses USGS data to calculate elevation, but Strava seems to just use the GPS and altimeter data. If all my freinds were on Garmin Connect I would be done!

Quote Originally Posted by jasontech17 View Post
    NateHawk do you work for garmin?
    I do not. I simply use their products because they do a lot of things better than everyone else. They don't do everything better by any means. Interfaces could be a lot better on most of their devices. I do not own an Edge 510, but have used one. Of all of Garmin's fitness devices that I have used, (I have used a few Edges and Forerunners over the years) its interface is much better and many functions are easier to access.

There is a lot of promise with devices like the RFLKT+, the Motorola MotoActive, and other small devices like them. The major issues that hold them back, IMO, are the screen and battery. Vivid, colorful, capacitive touchscreens eat battery life and require special gloves to operate in the cold. Small, high capacity batteries are very expensive, and when used with power-hungry screens, are a bit of a wash.

Another problem these devices have is with processing raw GPS data. Garmin has been doing it for a long time, so their algorithms have been refined over a very long time and they're good at sorting out bad data from the good. In fact, Garmin's processing on its consumer grade handhelds in some cases is better than professional grade equipment. I have used Garmins side-by-side with professional gear and in some cases, the Garmin produces better data.

There are so many smartphone app companies out there trying to get into the GPS market, many of them do not have good GPS data processing algorithms. Some of the companies that are dedicated to the market are better than others, and there's significant variability among them. There's also the HUGE variable of battery life. Just look in one of the threads where people are reporting their battery life on their phone tracking rides. It varies WIDELY from person to person. Some of the variability has to do with settings, other times it's variability from phone to phone. Most of the time it's impossible to figure out why one guy's phone dies after 3 hours and another guy's phone lasts for over 5 or even 10. Frankly, until you can get more consistency, it's going to be really difficult to strongly compete with the dedicated fitness user market.

The biggest thing that Garmin does extremely poorly is the way their devices handle .gpx files. It confuses people unnecessarily. You can download .gpx files online that are created with all kinds of useful data on a computer, but the files are complex. Garmin limits its devices to a VERY strict and limiting understanding of .gpx files and if you try to put a complex and informative .gpx onto a Garmin device, the file will be jumbled and screwed up and unusable. Magellan had intelligent .gpx file handling figured out many years ago, but their devices had other major limitations and the company was awful for people to deal with...so they haven't been popular.

I have been using GPS devices for far longer than most. I have strong opinions about what works, how things should work, and how people need to suck it up in some cases. I can see devices using smartphone technology becoming more successful than the sort of stuff Garmin has been making for the past several years. But that market is emerging still, and the stuff coming out is tantalizing in many respects, but still too limited in many others to really shake Garmin. I don't think the future is necessarily in these companion displays. They're cool, but I think a solid computer needs to be able to function entirely on its own and not rely on a more powerful "computer" that's stowed in a pack. When I go out for a ride, I want to keep my phone off, for a lot of reasons.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Is anyone getting the correct altitude gains when exporting the RFLKT+ data to Garmin Connect? Mine are all wrong and jagged...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Wahoo replied that Strava and Garmin Connect will not read the elevation data sent to them by the Wahoo app...hence the altitude profile is all jagged and incorrect.

I bought the RFLKT+ with the understanding that it worked correctly with many apps like Strava, Garmn Connect etc...but it doesn't

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by guidodg View Post
    Wahoo replied that Strava and Garmin Connect will not read the elevation data sent to them by the Wahoo app...hence the altitude profile is all jagged and incorrect.

I bought the RFLKT+ with the understanding that it worked correctly with many apps like Strava, Garmn Connect etc...but it doesn't
    looks like you hit the wall again. i bought edge 200 on probike uk, $90. did lots of research after i got interested, decided to return to uk, but i tried garmin usa if they honor it, surprisingly they did. garmin gave me $90 credit, got edge 500 for $108, bought some cadence/speed sensor for $34 on heart rate usa since i ride on wooded area, paired up with barfly 3.0 for stem mount (extra protection incase of crash). over all, garmin is pretty legit specially customer needs

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thrash_273 View Post
    looks like you hit the wall again. i bought edge 200 on probike uk, $90. did lots of research after i got interested, decided to return to uk, but i tried garmin usa if they honor it, surprisingly they did. garmin gave me $90 credit, got edge 500 for $108, bought some cadence/speed sensor for $34 on heart rate usa since i ride on wooded area, paired up with barfly 3.0 for stem mount (extra protection incase of crash). over all, garmin is pretty legit specially customer needs

huh?

mtbr member
    rflkt + didnt work, my point is you shouldve gave garmin another shot (510) on this case