mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Garmin Virtual Partner timer question

I mainly use my Edge 800 to simply record my ride data but this last weekend I entered a Sportive and used their Course map to follow during the ride. This started the Virtual Partner feature and I didn't really take any notice of it until 10 miles from the end on the ride the Edge informed me that the VP had finished the ride. Apart from from finding this a bit depressing, lol, I didn't think much of it until the Edge warned me it was going to auto shutdown twice. The first time I just found this odd but the second time I realised something was up and looked at my timer page to realise it had stopped a while back!!

My question is, is this normal behaviour when using the VP, when it completes the ride it stops your timer and stops recording how you did? This seems odd behaviour to me as even though you may want to use the VP to train against, surely if you are slower you still want to record your effort? If this is the normal behaviour, is they a way to change it?

From now on I will disable the VP from Course rides until I understand it better as this lost me a large chunk of my longest ride to date so I was fairly frustrated.
    2013 BMC FS02 Trailcrew 29er
    2007 Specialized Epic Expert

mtbr member
    I have used the virtual partner feature on my edge 500 many times and it never stops recording the work out even though I am inexplicably slower than I was before. I did accidentally turn it off once when I tried to turn off the notification like I was turning off an alarm on my watch though. I would probably check and see if there is a firmware update or then try and record a quick ride around the block and then set it as a virtual partner and see how it responds.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Thanks for the feedback. I believe the firmware is up to date but will check again anyway but good point about riding around the block with it though to test what it does, cheers.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Something's amiss.

Overall ride timer and track logging is separate from the Virtual Partner timing.

The 500 won't even start the VP timer unless the ride timer/tracker is running, and I think the 800 was the same when I tried it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

It did seem very odd behaviour to be honest. However looking back at my ride data on Strava, the point that the timer stopped was exactly where the alarm went off to say the VP had finished the course and hence why I'm thinking the two things are connected. I didn't touch the Garmin to stop the alarm at the point so I don't believe I could of accidentally done this. Odd.