That's gonna leave a mark

Garmin use with Stage racing

I'm competing in the BC Bike race later this month (7-day stage race) and I'm planning on recording each stage with my POV-1 helmet cam and will be using a Garmin Edge 305 to log my mileage/elevation, etc. I have the power supply/recharge thing worked out, but it just occurred to me that I don't have a way of uploading my Garmin data at the end of each stage.

I have very limited space for supplies and won't have room for a laptop. I am considering packing a journal and recording my ride data each night. I had hoped to have the actual files intact so that I can go back and view the footage while coordinating it with the elevation and speed profiles.

Any suggestions?
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

Not really. You pretty much need to offload each track as you record it to save the details. I'm not sure of the 305's capacity for saved tracks, but you could try that. Only problem is that the GPS will 'filter' your track points to conserve memory. It will result in a loss of detail.

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    As long as you reset each ride (not the whole GPS, just each ride) it should easily have enough storage for 7 days of riding. My Edge 705 keeps over a month of 3/5 rides a week. Make sure you have "Smart Recording" turned on so that it doesn't save as many points (versus 1-second intervals.)

I'm not sure how much storage the 305 has vs. the 705, but I suspect you'll be fine. Of course it wouldn't hurt to keep a log of your daily accomplishments just in case.

Thanks for the response, Tony.
    Fat fanatic.

mtbr member
    Upchuck - What are you using for extra power/charging?
    cheers
    Pagey

Quote Originally Posted by pagey
    Upchuck - What are you using for extra power/charging?
    I'm using this external battery when the Garmin starts to get low on power. http://usbgeek.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=0769
    Fat fanatic.