mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Garmin Training Center

I just purchased an old Edge 305.

Is it worth starting with Garmin Training Center or should I just use Garmin Connect. From what I can tell it looks like they are very similar just one is web based. I read where some people were using both. First time GPS owner and curious.

Thanks for any info.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I also just picked up a edge 305, the person helping me has me use connect and training..from what I see you can get more precise HR readings for the total ride..just mess with it and make your decision. as I learn more I will help you out..

Warrior's Society
    Garmin Training Center is no longer supported by Garmin....they recommend Connect.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

frankly, I think it's important to keep your activities ON YOUR COMPUTER if you value them much. that's fine if you want to upload online, but at least keeping a backup on your machine is important. I was around when the motionbased data was getting migrated to Garmin Connect. I didn't have much back then, but even still, it took the better part of a year for everything to make it over. and some of it got jumbled in the process and I had to make edits and re-upload. couldn't imagine having hundreds of activities over many years to deal with like some did. after that, I would never toss my data onto someone else's servers exclusively.

Use GTC if you like, even if it's not supported, it still works, but it's a pretty basic program. You could look at the 3rd party Sporttracks, too, as a better option than GTC for fitness data. I am less interested in fitness data, so I keep my local data in Topofusion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I agree NateHawk. I like GTC and just uploaded my first dataset. I have an edge 305. Today I rode two trails at different times of the day and forgot to hit reset, I just start/stop each time. Thus when importing my data it created one activity with two laps as it should bc I didnt reset. Is there a way to move this second lap to a new activity?

Quote Originally Posted by jjdoyle View Post
    I agree NateHawk. I like GTC and just uploaded my first dataset. I have an edge 305. Today I rode two trails at different times of the day and forgot to hit reset, I just start/stop each time. Thus when importing my data it created one activity with two laps as it should bc I didnt reset. Is there a way to move this second lap to a new activity?
    There is, but not with Training Center. It might be tricky because the two laps are right on top of each other.

Check the GPX files, Ride, Trail and Map Digital Resources thread and look at some of the computer software options. One I linked, Topofusion, has a free version available (download the Pro option), which will let you manually edit your file. You can cut the two laps, and save each one as a separate file. Keep checking that thread over time. The list on it is not all-inclusive and I know I missed some software I'm hoping that others will fill in for me. I just copied stuff I had in my bookmarks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks. I was actually just drilling down the links on that thread and looking at the original article on your site. Alot of info there! I will be busy for a while. Thanks for leading me to the water.