Thread: Garmin Rhino

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Garmin Rhino

Anyone use a Garmin Rhino on their bikes? I am very interested in the Garmin 705 but then are starting thinking since their screen size is almost the same why not get the Rhino instead for my bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    So many views of this but no comments.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Maybe because nobody uses the Rhino on their bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    And why not? They have GPS, the ability to show your position to another Rhino and communication. Seems like the perfect bike toy.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    I can only speak for myself, but....

A) requires 2 gps units for functionality... typically we only try to have one on group rides
    B) group rides are typically just that.... groups. No need for position data on other riders because they are either just in front of you or right behind you.
    C) FRS and GMRS (I have a reciever that does both) suck. In anything other than flat plains you will never get the distance that they claim.
    D) Black and white only on the rino (for the cheaper units)
    E) it's bigger than a 705
    F) the 705 is intended for bikes, the rino is not.
    G) less useful features compared to other non-bike specific units such as the GPSMap and Vista units. (again, cheaper units)

[edit] the more expensive units bring more features, but at that point I still think it's communication "selling points" are useless.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyDean
    D) Black and white only on the rino
    Not sure where you got that the Rhino is black and white but this is incorrect as the screen is color.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Reread. I was talking about the low end ones.

The end argument is that you would need 2 expensive gps units to make this system worthwhile, and even then it wouldn't work very well in the areas that most people ride, making the selling point of the unit useless.

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by Resist
    Anyone use a Garmin Rhino on their bikes? I am very interested in the Garmin 705 but then are starting thinking since their screen size is almost the same why not get the Rhino instead for my bike.

We've yet to sell a single Rino (correct spelling) to a cyclist... Sounds like fun in theory but in actual use it doesn't seem to "fill the order" for those on two wheels.

The Rino does not collect ride metrics as the 705 does. The walkie-talkie feature would be fun but you have to stop, remove from the mount (assuming it is bar mounted like the 705), and make contact with the other party. Lots of effort.

The 705 is all about putting what you need right there in front of you...

The Rino is great at what it does but it is not a big hit with cyclists at all.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com