mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Garmin online dealers

Please point me to good, reputable online dealers for an Edge 705. Preferrably someone you've dealt with that is a real dealer, not some phantom operation.

The Garmin website lists almost 100 dealers and I dont want to have to go through all of them (particularly since vendors like Staples dont sell the edge in the first place) to find a good place.

Thank you

mtbr member
    My wife got me a 605 from PerformanceBike.com for my birthday.
    It got bricked when I did a firmware update. (not uncommon, apparently)
    I called Garmin support, after a long time on hold, they told me it needed to be returned, and I'd have to pay shipping.

So I called Performance Bike, and they offered replacement or refund - no shipping charges/no hassles. So, I'm giving two thumbs up to PB as a good online dealer for Garmin.

As it turned out, I didn't have to send it back - I found out about an update that fixes it on one of the forums, and when I requested the specific file by name to Garmin support, they sent it along and it worked.

But - PB was willing to take it back, no hassles, no shipping charges etc.
    Realistically, if your'e buying on line, all that matters is the ability to return it without hassle if needed (oh yeah, and price). Any support is gonna be from Garmin or forums like this one.
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli
    Please point me to good, reputable online dealers for an Edge 705. Preferrably someone you've dealt with that is a real dealer, not some phantom operation.

The Garmin website lists almost 100 dealers and I dont want to have to go through all of them (particularly since vendors like Staples dont sell the edge in the first place) to find a good place.

Thank you

Take a look on these forums for a company called GeoMan Gear.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Geomangear.com is excellent. I got my Vista HCx from them.

trail rat
    GeoMan is the only place to buy online. Good pricing, excellent unbelievable service. He sent one of his own units as a loaner to a guy who was out of warranty (and did not buy from GeoMan). Garmin replaced the owners GPS with a refurbished unit at a reduced price. Beat that for customer service.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Grizzly
    Geoman!
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    +1 To geoman. The only way to beat his price is the fivefinger discount. Only way to get better customer service is to go to work for garmin yourself.

Gringo
    GPSNOW.com

I've purchased 5 different gps units on three differnent occasions for employees and myself. They have all the accessories and software you could ever want, delivery is quick, my experiences have been perfect. When I searched for a week, they were also as cheap as any of the other sites out there. For cycling I love my extrex.

G.

"Mr. Britannica"
    tvnav is another option... often pretty close to geoman, occasionally better

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks everyone, I've found a dealer.

GeoMan
    Please let us know how you like the Edge 705, k? I've ridden with a 305 for as long as they've been available. I think the 705 is a huge upgrade (I've got about a dozen rides on mine so far). What do you think?
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    Please let us know how you like the Edge 705, k? I've ridden with a 305 for as long as they've been available. I think the 705 is a huge upgrade (I've got about a dozen rides on mine so far). What do you think?
    So far so good. I bought it with the hope of taking it on a weekend getaway, our first with our new twins (babies, not bikes). The babies had other thoughts, like "Take us home" so I didn't get to hook it up til this morning.

My first impressions are:
    1) Intuitive set up and menus. You can tell the device is very rich with functions but you can figure out most of the useful things by scrolling thru the menus.

2) Speed and distance computation via GPS seems dead-on, even without wheel sensor. I compared it with my Cateye and they were in complete agreement. Cateye going in the trash. Can't believe I've had the same "computer" for over 10 years.

3) Nav system works as well as car-based Garmin devices although the maps look diffferent on the display. Here again, was able to input addresses etc without having read the operator's manual. Nice to see they retained menu items for food, hospital etc from the auto-based devices.

4) Nice to have one device that I can move between 3 bikes and not have to re-calibrate.

5) My experience with Garmin has been very good. People bash them about releasing products too soon etc, etc but so does MIcrosoft, Apple, Ford...... But on the few occasions I've called them about minor stuff with my Nuvi, they've been very helpful. Called them about the vehicle power adapter for the Edge and they happily admitted that it's the same as the Nuvi. They could have just as easily told me to buy another but they didn't. My only complaint about them is that they make you buy new mapsets for each new device but I guess that's capitalism!

I need to dig into the manual but, so far, am very pleased with it. I can't say enough about Geoman's service. The price was very competitive and customer service top notch. And I would not have found my way to Geoman but for his presence here and at Bicycle Forums. Better life through the internet.

Cheers,
    Bob

GeoMan
    Thanks, Bob, we appreciate your comments very much.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    So how are these GPS NAV devices holding up when riding trails with lots of trees? I would assume you would lose all NAV and speed info then.

GeoMan
    Amazing, the new chipsets (including the SiRF III) are so sensitive I rarely notice any signal loss at all on my 705. Just yesterday I was riding my favorite trail, the Winsor Trail - which is heavily tree covered, and it was always reporting accuracy to 11 or 12 feet - remarkable given the conditions.

Years ago I used to run search and rescue dogs in the Colorado mountains. I used a GPS briefly. Reception was so spotty and slow that I threw my GPS in frustration several times and finally resorted back to map and compass. It was frustrating. No more. These new units are good.

We never hear of signal issues and we talk to our customers a lot.

If you are running the Edge with the cadence/speed sensor you will continue to collect speed data even if the GPS signal fades...
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Does Geoman Gear give free shipping?

GeoMan
    Sometimes. What are your shipping details?
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Zip is 93403.

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by Resist
    Zip is 93403.

I just sent you a PM.

GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Resist
    Zip is 93403.
    Another San Luis Nabisco local - cool..........
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie