mtbr dismember

Garmin moving time

After Garmin Connect removed the moving time stats a few months ago (since returned) I started using autopause "when stopped" on my 800. Last weekend I did a 10 hour ride with over 9k of climbing. Since I am a slow climber autopause came on scores of times during my climbs. I started paying attention to it and I noted it often took an inordinate amount of time to resume. At the end of the ride I noted I lost a lot of time and distance on trails I've ridden scores of times.

As long as I get my heart beating all day long the times and distance aren't that important. However, as a scientist this gross inaccuracy really bugs me. So yesterday I put autopause on "1 second" (as slocaus suggested) and did a four hour ride on which I do virtually no stopping. (I stopped after an endo in sand, after going off the trail to avoid a head on collision, to take a leak, and put my sunglasses on and off a few times).

I then compared the Garmin stats with Topofusion. This time they were pretty similar. From what I gather Garmin's "Time" is equivalent to Topofusion's "Moving time." You would think that "when stopped" would be more accurate than "1 second." But it's not. On "1 second" the timing resumes immediately upon moving the bike.

Yes, I seem to have too much time on my hands. But I know a few of you GPS geeks also appreciate this kind of stuff

what I don't understand here is how your elapsed time differs between the two. if it's just reading the timestamps from your data file, it should be the same. It's only 3sec over the course of 4hrs...but what is going on behind the scenes to result in any kind of difference? which option is doing the processing that changes the time?

When I had an Edge 705, I found that I was never happy with the way autopause functioned.

mtbr member
    Thanks for this post, I was wondering the same thing. Now time to change my settings.