mtbr member

Garmin for Mac - HELP

I need help.
    I brought a new Macbook and I need to know if Gamin Mapsource (city navigator Europe NT) will work on the Mac????
    And if no how can I do that??

Chilling out
    MapSource, no. it's windows only.

I believe Garmin has a beta-level product for OS X native though you can try out.

You can also run Parallels, or maybe VirtualBox, and put Windblows on that if you really need to.

mtbr member

Same problem

Garmin created Road Trip for the mac its the same software for PC but for Mac with a different name. I still have not figured out how to get my maps to work.

mtbr member
    That Road Trip I already have it but with the same problem, the maps.
    And I'm Boot the disk and work with windows for mapsource and mac for the rest.

mtbr member
    Try this
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe

Riding or Drumming
    Garmin has (3) programs for Mac that replace Mapsource: Map Manager, Map Install and Roadtrip. It's been a while since I installed this stuff so bear with me. I believe that Map Install converts your Garmin map CDs to Mac compatiblity and Map Manager installs them. Roadtrip mimics the functions of Mapsource in terms of viewing maps, waypoints, routes, etc.

It's still a work-in-progress for Garmin but consideing they've had NO Mac software, it's a start.

Honestly, I only use Ascent for my Edge 305 data, no Garmin software...
    Tallboy
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Salsa Mukluk
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Thanks

I already know the problem. I download the RoadTrip (this is better than MapSource) but it doesn’t appear the box to choose what maps I want to show. So it only shows the original maps and can't chose the Citynavigator. I costume the toolbox and know it's working fine.

Meanwhile I'm working on Mac with MacGPS Pro (not very good) for military maps, with RoadTrip and online with GPSies with is a great program.
    At Pc with CompeGPS (previously OziExplorer but the CompeGPS is much better) for military maps, MapSource and GPSies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfas
    I already know the problem. I download the RoadTrip (this is better than MapSource) but it doesn’t appear the box to choose what maps I want to show. So it only shows the original maps and can't chose the Citynavigator.
    Don't you have a box at the right had side to pick the map you want to view?

It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe

mtbr member
    Know I have, but when I install the RoadTrip and CityNT that box wern't there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

mac/garmin?

I just bought a garmin 60 series. The software that it came with says pc compatible only, no mac. However, there is a program on my macbook called bootcamp, where you can partition your harddrive and install windows xp or vista. I ran xp for a while and it worked fine. Although, you do have to use virus protection once you partition to run windows on a macbook, which sucks. I wonder if this partitionioning of my hd, which is fairly easy to do and undo is worth it or if there is better gps software for a mac?

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by kuykencl
    I just bought a garmin 60 series. The software that it came with says pc compatible only, no mac. However, there is a program on my macbook called bootcamp, where you can partition your harddrive and install windows xp or vista. I ran xp for a while and it worked fine. Although, you do have to use virus protection once you partition to run windows on a macbook, which sucks. I wonder if this partitionioning of my hd, which is fairly easy to do and undo is worth it or if there is better gps software for a mac?
    There's plenty of Mac programs for using your Garmin GPS.

Take a look at our "links" page. Go to www.geomangear.com, scroll to the bottom of the home page and click on "GeoMan's GPS Links". Look around.

Ascent is one that comes to mind that is easy and used by many. Support and feedback have been excellent.

Let us know what you find.

Thanks!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Smile thanks geoman

Hey thanks I appreciate it. I'm a newb w gps and am going to use it a lot this season. Luckily REI has a basics of gps course on the 12th. I will post my success if it turns out that way!
    CCK

mtbr member
    May 2007

Garmin Hell and the Mac.

Garmin......Oh, how I hate theeeeee.

I used to use bootcamp and the Garmin software under windows on the Mac. I took boot camp off and now I use road trip.

The easiest way to get your PC maps is to get a 6 pack of good beer, call up a PC friend, go over and install Map Source on their PC. Install your maps and then download the converting software from Garmin. Convert and burn the maps into a Mac format. Give your friend the beer for taking up 2-3 hours of his time.

Go home and install the mac maps.

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/MapSo...cComputers.pdf

ken

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    I talked to Garmin support Stateside a couple of weeks ago (because Garmin Germany doesn't return your emails). Anyway, they were very helpful even though I was trying to install a Germany based topo map. At that time, they told me that much of the new Garmin software will be OSX compatible. Not sure how much that helps you at this point. I fight with my old G4 laptop and my iMac constantly as I don't want Windows on the new iMac. It works sometimes and not others. Good luck!

Members who have read this thread: 0